jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What do you do to comfort a dying dog that doesn't want to be touched?

1. Annsalo profile image83
    Annsaloposted 22 months ago

What do you do to comfort a dying dog that doesn't want to be touched?

My dog had a stroke. She had one last year also. This seems much worse than last time. Vet say wait it out. She doesn't want to be touched, to get up, to eat, to drink, to be around us or the other dog. How do you comfort a dying dog that doesn't want to be bothered?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12997294_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 22 months ago

In all honesty, stay close but give her the space she wants.  It could be that space is what gives her the most comfort at this time.  Very rarely do animals want to be touched or held when they pass.  In fact, many will actually hide (especially cats) when it comes to that point.  Just give her a soft place to lay and put her food and water within reach nearby and stay close but not too close.  I'm sorry you are going through this - it's never easy.

Annsaloposted 22 months agoin reply to this

She got up on her own this morning to go out for potty break. Still disoriented but she got up. smile I'm starting to think she has 9 lives. Holding onto hope she will improve. Hard not just sitting with her though.

2. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 22 months agoin reply to this

well that is good news smile I know it's hard, best wishes to you all.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 22 months ago

Sadly sometimes the most humane thing to do is euthanize a pet in pain. It's hard to let go of pets and yet keeping them around suffering in pain isn't in (their) best interest.
    We've had to euthanize two long-term pets within the past year.
    Best wishes...

Annsaloposted 22 months agoin reply to this

If it looks like she's hurting too much we will. Vet said she's likely not in much pain. The strokes leave her disoriented, blurry vision, trbl walking, that type of thing. She's made it 2 days, which is good, so I have to wait b4 think of euth. Thx

working