jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Was Killing Harambe The Gorilla The Right Decision?

1. PhoenixV profile image70
    PhoenixVposted 22 months ago

Was Killing Harambe The Gorilla The Right Decision?

2. savvydating profile image96
    savvydatingposted 22 months ago

Unfortunately, yes. His being shot by a tranquilizer gun would have been too risky. One shot doesn't do the trick. Meanwhile, the tranquilizer initially causes the animal to feel surprise, confusion and rage. The gorilla had already become aggressive towards the child and would have become more so with the tanquilizer.
    Consequently, too much time would have elapsed and there was no telling what the gorilla might do in his confused and angry state. Therefore, the zoo had to make the tough decision to kill the gorilla in order to assure that the child was not harmed or killed.

3. word55 profile image73
    word55posted 22 months ago

Unfortunately, I must agree with savvy here. There was no other choice to take. I second her emotion.

1. savvydating profile image96
      savvydatingposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Even Jack Hanna stated that the zoo had made the right decision.

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 21 months ago

Of course there was no choice at that point but it creates many questions about why the situation was created.  First, I can't find a way to fault the zoo.  They knew how dangerous the animal could be and that they are innately resourceful animals so the zoo had him safely contained.  How the child got in is curious, and probably so on more than one level.

Why people are not connecting the dots on anthropomorphizing animals and how children think is beyond me.  It is a very good thing to teach them to be good stewards of the earth, but it is a bad thing to stress them over it, to frighten them over not doing it, or to make them think they should be doing something they simply cannot do about it.  It is criminal to take it to the extent of what happened to the little "emotional environmentalist" shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbjabTS5kac 

These two children are examples of how children are being used rather than nurtured.  Little ones need people in their lives who will step up on their behalf.  Is it no wonder that younger and younger children are being diagnosed with depression. Children are in trouble emotionally rather than being given truth and helped to grow into productive adults. They learn to live by their feelings, waste their lives trapped in what amounts to an imaginary reality, and, sadly, to die by them too many times.