jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you get rid of cat fleas?

1. profile image61
    RobertTrongeposted 17 months ago

How do you get rid of cat fleas?

2. ptosis profile image80
    ptosisposted 17 months ago

Get rid of the cat ... no just kidding, (I'm a dog person).  You probably have fleas over your entire house and have to get rid of the fleas everywhere all at once. Once you done that. If  don't want to be reinfected again then give Cat flea Rx because if you let your cat out - it will get them again.

http://hubpages.com/animals/How-to-Get- … -Your-Home

3. profile image79
    Beth Gulliverposted 17 months ago

Flea medication should do the trick. For very young kittens who are too small for medication, my vet has also recommended giving them a bath with Dawn dish soap...but if the cat is any bigger than a handful, good luck getting them in the tub!

4. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 17 months ago

My cats are indoor only and I put cumin in their wet cat food once a day. Apparently fleas don't like cumin and it's harmless to the cats.

5. arksys profile image90
    arksysposted 17 months ago

i took in a stray cat for a while, had to give it a good bath in soapy water or dish washing liquid as suggested. Keep most of its body(below neck) in water for about a minute so the fleas die, then comb them off. Rinse thoroughly and repeat for 2-3 days. be careful though, cats don't like water much, so ease them into the bath.

6. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 17 months ago

You have to do a lot at once usually.  I like CapStar for immediate relief (Nitenpyram) It is less toxic than many other flea meds and kills adult fleas within 30 minutes.  You mix it into their food and it provides immediate relief.  Sadly, it doesn't kill the eggs, but if you dose them every few days it will eventually stop the life cycle. 

Take their bedding and wash it - or even throw it away if you have a bad infestation.  Vacuum twice a day and after you treat for fleas go through and steam clean carpets as well.  This is a non-toxic way to kill.  If an infestation is too bad though you may have to resort to using a chemical flea killer on the furniture and carpets as well. 

Once you get rid of any fleas your pet has, put them on a maintenance medication that keeps them from getting them in the first place.

working