jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that it is inherently cruel to keep undomesticated animals in capti

1. B M Gunn profile image61
    B M Gunnposted 17 months ago

Do you think that it is inherently cruel to keep undomesticated animals in captivity?

Often we see people bashing zoos and other situations where exotic animals are kept in captivity. My personal view is that the vast majority of the animal kingdom (with the possible exception of some higher functioning animals such as Great Apes, Elephants, Cetaceans, Corvids, etc.) CAN be kept in captive situations such as zoos and potentially still have a good quality of life. This view extends to exotic pets.

So, I would like to hear the community's opinion on the subject. Please provide clear and concise answers, and be willing to defend your position.

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

No. And I'm concerned that the misplaced compassion on "saving the animals", seeing them as somehow totally innocent and idealized, hurts people because there are billions without reliable safe water, sanitation, water, healthcare.
    To invest money into tearing down zoos and creating no kill shelters when there are still a billion in deep squalor is immoral.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 17 months ago

I think it depends on the zoo.  I know a lot of zoos focus on getting animals that simply are not able to survive out of captivity for whatever reason and they are well looked after.  I have no problem with those zoos.  A lot of them also do a lot to educate kids and the community on issues facing different species which I think is a positive. 

On the other hand, a lot of zoos treat animals poorly and essentially breed animals for the purpose of caging them and making a spectacle for profit which I don't agree with.

4. Paxash profile image98
    Paxashposted 17 months ago

I think in the case of zoos, it's situational. It's not inherently cruel because a lot of zoos have the proper training and resources to take care of the animals they keep. Obviously that means some zoos don't, and those animals would be much better off not being in the care of those particular zoos.

I think exotic pets are a different situation. It depends on the animal, but the average person probably shouldn't try to keep an undomesticated animal in their home.