jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

I recently adopted a chihuahua mix. Why does he scratch and growl everytime he u

1. AileenWebber profile image60
    AileenWebberposted 8 months ago

I recently adopted a chihuahua mix. Why does he scratch and growl everytime he urinates?

Ever since we brought him home he tinkles a little outside then proceeds to scratch the ground while growling. He then takes a few steps and repeats the process. This goes on even after he runs out of pee. He is also obsessed with drinking water, he will even jump into the tub after I shower to drink the leftover water in the basin. I think he is filling back up to mark and growl more.... Anyone know whats going on here?

2. DLayne profile image74
    DLayneposted 8 months ago

Maybe he has a urinary tract or bladder infection.  I recommend taking him to a doctor.  Perhaps it is painful for him during urination.

AileenWebberposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I wondered the same thing... Hmmmnnn

3. Stephanie Purser profile image84
    Stephanie Purserposted 8 months ago

I've never seen this behavior and have had two chihuahua mixed in my time. I do agree with DLayne that a good start would be to see the vet.
    If recently adopted, maybe also ask the foster carer or shelter you got them from. Good luck!

AileenWebberposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Im going to make an appointment with the vet. He isnt acting sick otherwise. But he does need to be established with vet care anyway so I will take him in tomorrow. Thanks guys!

2. Stephanie Purser profile image84
      Stephanie Purserposted 8 months agoin reply to this

How'd you go?

working