jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

How do you clean a cat's teeth?

1. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 7 years ago

My lovely cat has always had good teeth but at his annual check up last week the vet said he had some tartar. How can I get rid of this and is there a way of regularly cleaning your cat's teeth?

2. girly_girl09 profile image78
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I am going to get my cat's teeth cleaned in a few months, because his are really bad (esp for his age!). I have to bring him to the vet and they do blood work to make sure there won't be an issue with the anesthesia. Then, they will put him out and clean the teeth. It costs around $350 sad Which is totally ridiculous, but it is very important for your cat's longevity!

There is also stuff you can add to their water (my cat hates it, even though the bottle says they can't pick up the taste) as well as special treats and food and "cat toothpaste" that is fish flavored and comes with a finger brush. But ultimately, you've got to get that tartar off professionally and then do the maintenance care.

3. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 7 years ago

Mouse flavoured toothpaste.

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm serious, kind of.  A cat will tolerate you stuffing a toothbrush in their mouth providing there's something that like on the end of it.  Failing that, dental chews which are designed to remove plaque during chewing.  Infinitely better than having it removed under anasthesia.

2. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm serious, kind of.  A cat will tolerate you stuffing a toothbrush in their mouth providing there's something that like on the end of it.  Failing that, dental chews which are designed to remove plaque during chewing.  Infinitely better than having it removed under anasthesia.

4. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

I have two cats and recently one cat was checked out and the vet said that she was getting a tartar build up. However, I've purchased some cat treats with tartar control.

How effective? Do not know, as of yet, it's only been a couple of months and she isn't due to see the vet until next year. wink

1. profile image0
      sarahsherlockposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How often do you use them?

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We give them once or twice a week. smile

5. Aiden Roberts profile image82
    Aiden Robertsposted 7 years ago

I agree the best way to clean a cat's teeth is let them use tartar control chews. If that doesn't work the vet should be able to help, at a fee of course smile

6. Shadesbreath profile image85
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

Toss them in the laundry machine; you get teeth, fur, everything.  Don't use bleach though or you'll make calicos out of your solids.

Hey Shades, you do realize that action is cruelty to animals? hmm

1. Shadesbreath profile image85
        Shadesbreathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the cat.

lol lol lol lol lol lol

7. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 7 years ago

Really helpful. Thanks everyone!