jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you use flouride toothpaste when brushing your toddlers teeth?

1. AustralianNappies profile image78
    AustralianNappiesposted 5 years ago

Do you use flouride toothpaste when brushing your toddlers teeth?

Is using a small amount of toothpaste which contains flouride ok, when your toddler doesn't know how to rinse and spit it out yet when you're brushing their teeth?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I brush with nonfluoride paste, but at night I wipe her teeth with a fluoride toothpaste so it can sit on her teeth all night.

1. AustralianNappies profile image78
      AustralianNappiesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I appreciate your input!

3. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Children who are not able to rinse or spit should not be using toothpaste containing flouride. There are children's toothpaste available at supermarkets without any flouride added. Water flouridation is extremely controversial, as flouride is a known toxin. Dentists will tell you that it prevents tooth decay. Personally, I think this is only true when the flouride is applied topically. But when there is the danger of flouride being ingested (as in a toddler unable to spit out properly and therefore swallowing some of it), then it is not safe and should not be used.

4. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

when my toddler doesn't know how to rinse and spit, i used a small amount of flouride toothpaste at the tip of finger ( cover with his handkerchief) and brush his tiny teeth. Then, use wet hanky to wipe off the toothpaste.

working