jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)

USA : 5000 birds fall from the sky, most dead

1. pisean282311 profile image60
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

In a shocking incident in Arkansas, 100,000 drum fish washed up along the Arkansas river. Scientists say that a disease is likely to blame.
    On their own dead fish might not raise too many eyebrows. But a little more than 100 miles away, in Beebe, there was another animal mystery.
    Just before the stroke of midnight on New Year's eve, thousands of birds started falling from the sky.

On roads, on roofs, on lawns, up to 5000 blackbirds fell within a one-mile area. Most of them were dead.

Everybody is amazed at this happening. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission says this phenomenon is not as unusual as it might seem.

The likely culprit is a lighting strike or high-altitude hail, possibly even fireworks.

Investigators say there is no connection between the dead fish and dead birds.

No matter what the explanation for these odd events, some in Arkansas say 2011 is off to an ominous start. Last year we started it with floods. This year with birds.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 6 years agoin reply to this

here's an older story with drunken birds falling out of the sky

http://www.asylum.co.uk/2010/06/02/drun … alian-sky/

2. habee profile image95
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I read about this. Sad and very strange!

pisean282311posted 6 years agoin reply to this

too sad...5k is huge number...

3. Don Ship profile image80
    Don Shipposted 6 years ago

How did I miss this?
    5000 is just too MANY! Sad! sad

4. Ign Andy profile image60
    Ign Andyposted 6 years ago

I just read about this as well, the news spread worldwide. Very sad indeed.

yes news does spread fast...

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

The world does seem to be getting very wacky, more so then is normal anyway hmm

6. simeonvisser profile image87
    simeonvisserposted 6 years ago

The world is going to end next year anyway lol

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thats what they say. Too bad too because I am on track to earning a nice and respectable income from a few different sources this year and next year. Ah well good thing I don't really believe the world will end as such, could be time for a social change tho.

no no ...world is going to end in 2012...i got call from god...he said he is firm on decision smile...on serious notes...well world wont end till sun does exist and earth is suitable for life...humans species can end due to some natural disaster of highest level but i guess some species would still survive...

7. Hugh Williamson profile image91
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

There have been bird kills before that were caused by putting down granular fertilizer on crop land in the winter -- then the birds feast on it. This could also tie into the fish kill.

I haven't heard this on the media, it's just my guess.

1. profile image0

it's mainly one species of bird or fish

8. easyfreerecipes profile image61
    easyfreerecipesposted 6 years ago

that is bizarre! i have never heard of birds falling from the sky but both reasons given seem plausible. in fact, hail came to mind before i even got to that part of your post. very interesting!

1. profile image0

here's a few similar incidents in different countries over past few years  http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conse … -q1fd.html

perhaps getting a massive fright & crash-landing?  Hail?

9. Hoodala profile image57
    Hoodalaposted 6 years ago

too bad they weren't pigeons!

?

10. CMHypno profile image95
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

Its happened now in Sweden - jackdaws have fallen out of the sky. Thousands of dead crabs have also washed up on the beaches in Kent, here in England

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … gland.html

11. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 6 years ago

I heard about it and found it so sad and strange. They were saying 1000 and now 5000, that is a huge numbers. I wonder if they know what happened truly?

12. CMHypno profile image95
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

Wildlife populations have been struggling in many parts of the world, so these large groups of fatalities may have a huge impact on some local ecosystems

working