- Pets and Animals
Sweaters and Hoodies for Dogs
Comfortable Cuddly Dog Sweaters and Hoodies to Buy or Make
When the fur just isn't enough grab your puppy one of these Sweaters and Hoodies for Dogs. Great for dogs who live in cold and snowy areas, these Sweaters and Hoodies for Dogs look cute on any puppy and keep them warm too.
If you're looking for a good gift idea for your dog, these Sweaters and Hoodies for Dogs are affordable ways to show them you love them.
Many of the RTW items featured on this page are available in alternate colors and a range of sizes. Most are eligible for Free Shipping.
Do Dogs Really Need Sweaters or Hoodies?
Many dogs benefit greatly from wearing warm garments, but not all dogs need them. It depends on the breed, size, age, health and, of course, the weather.
Larger dogs, like Siberian Huskies, bred to have dense fur coats to protect them from the cold obviously do not need additional layers to keep them warm. However, some dogs have lighter layers of fur and their bodies don't conserve heat as much as thicker fur does. Smaller dog breeds and dogs with naturally short or trimmed short hair usually benefit from the additional layer of insulation.
You will often see smaller and toy size dogs dressed in clothes and because they are so adorable, many people think it is an affectation on the owner's part. While that may be the case in some situations, smaller dogs really do feel the cold and their clothing serves a very practical purpose and are not just fashion statements.
Hand-made according to fair-trade practices. Available in sizes XX-Small through XX-Large.
Larger short-haired dogs with slender builds, like greyhounds, pinschers, and whippets, also benefit from warm clothing. If your dog is reluctant to go outside when the temperature drops, you may find that dressing him or her in something warm may solve that problem.
Older dogs, less active dogs, and dogs with health problems or mobility impairments will appreciate the comfort and the alleviation of symptoms from the extra retained body heat provided by the additional layer of warmth from wearing a sweater or hoodie.
Dog Sweaters Are Not Just for Outdoors
If you keep your home's temperature low during the colder seasons and wear layers and sweaters to keep warm, chances are your pet would appreciate the same. (You might also want to consider providing your dog with a heated bed or pad.) Some dogs can be as uncomfortable as humans if the temperature is a bit too chilly.
A classic in plaid with contrasting trim. Pullover style with high cut belly for comfort and leash hole for convenience. Machine washable.
How to Choose a Sweater or Hoodie for Your Dog
1. Measure your dog carefully. You'll want to note the size of the dog's neck, girth (the size around the largest part of her or his chest), and the length from the base of the neck to the tail. Those measurements are used to determine the size your pet will need. It is also a good idea to check the dog's weight.
Fun Fair Trade Hand Knit Dog Sweater
This whimsical sweater is hand-made and sure to attract smiles when you take your pet for a walk. Made of 100% virgin wool and natural dyes by the Quechua Indians of South America. In sizes XXS-XXL.
2. Decide what material you want the garment to be made from. Wool is warm and natural, but your dog may be allergic to it or find it itchy and not all wools are washable. A wool blend (wool and cotton or acrylic) might be better and more practical. Cotton is a comfortable fiber, but it may shrink so if you are looking for 100% cotton, you may want to buy a garment that fits a little bit looser than usual and wash it prior to putting it on your dog. If your weather is cold and wet (rain or snow) you might want a water resistant or water repellant fabric. Read the manufacturer's care instructions and content labels carefully.
3. Check the garment to make sure there are no buttons, bows, bells, hooks, loosely attached appliques, or other items that can be bitten or chewed off as they may pose a choking hazard or other problem. Some garments have hooks to attach to a leash but they are meant to be used for supervised walks and not worn when the dog is alone.
Comfortable, warm 100% acrylic for easy care and durability. Machine-washable. Other sizes and colors available.
4. Be sure the garment fits properly. You want it to be snug enough that your dog can't pull it off but not so tight that it restricts movement. Make sure the neck fits comfortably and can be easily put on and taken off over the dog's head. Your dog should also be able to move his or her arms freely.
5. Be sure the garment is cut high enough on the underside so it does not get wet when your dog visits a favorite tree.
6. While velcro attachments are convenient and easy to use, be sure to close the strips evenly so none of it is exposed and able to catch on and pull your pet's hair or fur.
Sporty Striped Dog Sweater
A classic striped sweater to keep your pup warm all winter long. This high-cut pullover striped turtleneck sweater has a functional zipper pocket and is complete with a convenient leash hole.
Sporty Striped Dog Sweater - $21.00
Retail Price: $35.00
You Save: $14.00
Rolled neckline makes this sweater easy to put on and take off. Machine wash cold.
Not Your Dog's Size?
Most items on this page come
in a range of sizes.
Click on the one you like
and select the size right for your pet.
Z & Z Crown Crossbone Goth Hoodie in Black
Crowned Crossbone Hoodie features a rhinestone-accented skull and crosssbone design. Comfortable cotton sweatshirt with ribbed sleeves and hem. Other colors and sizes available. Eligible for Free Shipping.
Colorful Stripes Dog Sweater
A colorful striped sweater to brighten chilly winter days.
Colorful Stripes Dog Sweater - $19.20
Retail Price: $32.00
You Save: $12.80
What do you think about dogs wearing sweaters and hoodies?
Hand Knit Cable Sweater with Hat - Most Wanted Sweaters and Hoodies for Dogs
Too cute! Hand knit from soft thick 100% acrylic yarn this sweater comes with an adorable hat. Washable. Also available in other colors and additional sizes.
Don't wait on this one - sells out fast!
Most Items Featured on this Page
Are Eligible for
Fashion Pet Bone Patch Cable Dog Sweater - Available in Blue or Pink
Snuggly cable knit sweater with high collar and bone embroidered patch on tail of sweater. Easy on-off Velcro closure placket with a button and knit sleeves. Convenient leash hole at the neck. Other sizes available. Eligible for Free Shipping.
Have You Ever Dressed Your Dog in a Sweater or Hoodie?
Have You Ever Dressed Your Dog in a Sweater for Hoodie?
Looking for Christmas Holiday Dog Sweaters & Hoodies?
Prefer to Make Your Own Dog Sweaters?
Patterns & Instructions to Make Your Own Dog Sweaters
Store Bought or Home-Made Dog Sweaters?
Don't forget to leave a comment to tell us why you chose a particular answer.
Which do you prefer?
You Might Also Like...
More of Our Pet Pages For Dogs and Cats and the People Who Love Them
You can see all of our Pet related articles here:
Chazz's Pet Pages: Everything About and For Dogs and Cats
Two kittens adopted us about 7 years ago, but it was not until we were recently adopted by our first puppy that I really went pet crazy -- and my growing collection of pet pages about everything related to dogs and cats...