Jamie Brock profile image 95

My sewing machine is locked up, help!!

I was sewing today and right after I adjusted the tension to a higher number, it all the sudden locked up.. I slowly turned the manual knob and it freed itself.. so started sewing again and it did okay for a minute and then locked up again except this time, it is completely stuck with the needle not wanting to go up. I can turn the wheel a short amount of ways either way but it just will not go past a certain point. I took the bobbin out and everything was fine there. It's just so frustrating.. does anyone know what this could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

lindalou1963 profile image79

Linda (lindalou1963) says

• Jamie Brock profile image

Jamie Brock 5 years ago

Thank you, Linda.... I would try it but it's completely locked. I can't even get it to a single stitch. Didn't know about starting out with needle down though.. will keep that in mind if it ever gets fixed! Thank you for the suggestion :)

4wardthinker profile image86

4wardthinker says

• Jamie Brock profile image

Jamie Brock 5 years ago

First thing I did this morning was Youtube.. didn't have much luck. It is a Singer Ingenuity, I will have a look at the manual again, good suggestion. I feel like it shouldn't be messing up like this.. but I bought it used so go figure :(

Jamie Brock profile image95

Jamie Brock says

Pollyannalana profile image80

Pollyannalana says

• Jamie Brock profile image

Jamie Brock 5 years ago

Yep, I took the cover off and sure enough the thread uptake was stuck inside the machine.. am going to get some oil and take it for a tune up. Thank you for your reply :)

lpanfil profile image83

lpanfil says

• Jamie Brock profile image

Jamie Brock 5 years ago

Ipanfil- Thank you for the suggestions.. the bobbin area looks good, no loose strings or tangles that I can see. Needle is good. I'm afraid it's something on the inside. Thank you for the suggestions.

gingerka profile image61

gingerka says

• Jamie Brock profile image

Jamie Brock 5 years ago

I actually took the cover off and discovered the thread take up was stuck inside the machine- I got it loose but I'm still taking it in because something still doesn't seem right. thank you for your reply- I will keep that it mind for future problems

• Jamie Brock profile image

Jamie Brock 5 years ago

I am quite sure that it probably needs a good lube... I don't think that's the main problem though. It is just completely locked and won't rotate to do a single stitch. I'm going to get some oil as soon as I can. Thank you for reminding me!