Re-evaluate your expectations as music fans

1. Jessie L Watson profile image94
    Jessie L Watsonposted 3 weeks ago

It occurred to me recently how ridiculous it is when fans of particular musicians and groups get upset over their changing content. As artists, how can you expect them to pump out the same cookie cutter material? It's the same thing as demanding Poe to confine his poetry to ravens. We have to stop treating artists as if they are slaves to our demands. It's our responsibility to change our choices when they've taken a different turn in their life. This is one of the most reprehensible aspects of consumer culture. We forget that these are human beings that are changing and growing along with the rest of us. Even if you can detect some evidence of "selling out", that is a choice they made in regard to their well-being, whether or not you believe it was for better or worse. I have a host of bands that I don't listen to anymore because their dynamic changed but that doesn't mean I begrudge them for it. I just let that part of my interest die and move onto something else.

2. Hanah De Laurell profile image81
    Hanah De Laurellposted 12 days ago

That is always so infuriating! We are all human! Humans are constantly changing and adapting and growing as individuals so why would their style in music not also change with them! I would be terrified if I still had the same taste in things as I did when I was in middle school, aeons ago! Another thing that really frustrates me is when someone listens to a certain artists/groups, not for their music but because they think one of the members is hot! I can't even tell you how many times I have been asked if a singer in one of my favourite bands is hot and I respond with, "Haven't the slightest clue! I only listen to their music not stare at random pictures of them on the internet!" What happened to listening to music for the enjoyment of the music?

3. Jessie L Watson profile image94
    Jessie L Watsonposted 11 days ago

I heard a term recently called the "law of familiarity" which aligns with the neurological concept of habituation. People consume something until it becomes dull and boring to them. It used to be that music structured culture and identity. But now its all about marketing and materialism...

working