jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What inspires you to paint?

1. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 7 years ago

What inspires you to paint?

2. James Apps profile image60
    James Appsposted 7 years ago

I guess that when I was a child I enjoyed watching the water colors do what I asked of them.  I liked landscapes of the English countryside and attempted to paint them with my somewhat inadequate colors, poor quality brushes and entirely the wrong sort of paper.  However I wanted to put down on paper in color what I saw. 

I have recently taken up the brush again and discovered the usefulness of good quality brushes, good paints and acid free, rough paper. The countryside is still there waiting for me to interpret what I see of it and now I can also add the experience of living in New Zealand and Australia to my paintings.  I would say that now I have gone full circle.

As for what inspires me to paint is the desire to sit and watch and put down on paper what I see.  But it is more than that because now I have the medium of the digital camera to help capture the images and using those I can create a painting that will express the way I see things.

The bonus is that I can use color to show how I feel and help bring a whole new dimension to my life.  Inspiration comes from within me in a desire to enjoy painting and from without as the world and all that is in it cry out to be recognised.

3. Azure11 profile image92
    Azure11posted 7 years ago

There are a couple of things - I paint mostly abstracts so I might just have an idea come into my mind - or I might just see something somewhere - of colours that I think look great together and I want to use them in a painting. Otherwise I might think of something I can use for texture and work the painting around that or else I might think of a technique of applying paint in a slightly different way and that will inspire me to come up with something.

4. 2uesday profile image80
    2uesdayposted 7 years ago

I think the inspiration to paint or create and image is similar to the inspiration to write.

One wishes to capture an image, a thought or a moment in time; to preserve it and possibly communicate it/share it with others.

At the moment I am working on paintings and a machine embroidery based on landscapes and the way two artists in the past interpreted them into watercolours and prints.

Still, it is about the need to preserve the way I feel about the landscapes and the way the artists portrayed them.