How to be more expressive when you do oil painting as a beginner?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Webber224 profile image58
    Webber224posted 14 years ago

How to be more expressive when you do oil painting as a beginner?

I just took an introdutory workshop last weekend.  My instructor commented my painting is a bit mechanical.  He encouraged me to loosen up a bit and work faster.  I found the still life setting is so boring and we only allowed to use 1 colour.  Please give some helpful hints.  Next class's setting is fruit and we are allow to use 3 colours.  Cool!

2. HannahLW profile image61
    HannahLWposted 14 years ago

Being "expressive" can be difficult if you are just learning to paint. As a beginner, or if you are in an introductory state, the art class probably consists of brush stroke techniques, composition, lighting, color, etc.
    When beginning, many painters are afraid to make mistakes, or to "mess up" their paintings.
    Being expressive comes with a little risk. Like Bob Ross always said, "Let's get crazy now. Let's add a little rock right there." He always had a general idea about what he was going to paint, but he also just "let it happen".
    Oil is a very nice medium to use for expression since it blends well and doesn't dry too quickly. It is my favorite painting medium between the ones I have used in the past (acrylic and water color).
    To become a little more expressive, try little subtle things such as stroking the brush more quickly, leaving edges unfinished, making one long line with a brush, and then leaving it, make short little strokes in other places. Change it up a little. Go a little crazy, as Bob Ross would put it. Don't worry about messing up your painting. We learn best from our "mistakes".
    I am pretty certain a "mistake" will be tolerated in your class. Take a risk. Add more blobs of white. Use your blank canvas as part of the painting. Do whatever you FEEL like. If you feel frustrated that day, make the picture more violent by scraping away some of the paint. Whatever idea pops into your head, JUST DO IT. Maybe you want the shadow on the pear on the OTHER side of the fruit, on the wrong side of the light source. Just try it! You might like it.
    You could also try a helpful expression exercise: pick an object, pick a definitive kind of music (quick, angry, romantic, silly), and paint or draw the object in the way the music makes you feel. The biggest key with this exercise is not to think about it too much. Just let your hand do all the work. Don't be afraid to put a big blob of blue all over that apple!
    Another great way to start those expressive juices pumping is to look at other people's paintings and see what they are up to.

Hope this helps. Best regards for your class and paintings!

3. LindaCSmith profile image68
    LindaCSmithposted 14 years ago

I don't know about your instructor's advice to work faster...however since you can use three colors, I would suggest using two Primary colors, such as Red and Yellow, and the complement for Red which is Green.  This will give you some color intensity and interest.

4. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

Loosening up might help you become more expressive, but painting faster won't necessarily accomplish anything.  My first art instructor wiped her hands clean on my nice white canvas--it shocked me at the time, but demonstrated the canvas was not sacred.  Using a more "gestural" style might help, i.e., move your arm more to apply paint.  An instructor once advised me to paint a painting using a ladder.  I was instructed to climb the ladder, jump off it, and paint on my way down.  I didn't do it, but it was meant to inspire me to use the movement and rhythm of my body as part of the creative process.

Good luck with the class if it is still going on!

5. profile image53
    afsheen110posted 14 years ago

being an artist i must say expressive yourself  is the most important key for any artist,because first of all whatever u r going to paint is already in your mind so give your painting a story that how and why u r painting.Keep in mind painting speak itself as u already have something in your imagination while u were creating your best piece of work.

6. profile image49
    Cuadros Goyaposted 10 years ago

You can only improve with practice. Take It easy, you will see improvements soon.
    I am an artist too:
    http://www.cuadrosgoya.es
    Hope you like my paintings!

7. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 7 years ago

As others have said already, keep painting, you'll get faster and more expressive with practice.
    Once you know what to expect from each brush stroke and each color, confidence and excitement will be easier to find.
    If your goal is to get looser, my suggestions is to use big brushes, much bigger than what you would usually pick up. Especially at the beginning of a painting, nothing smaller than 1 inch.
    Happy painting!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)