jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

form or function?

1. PeterCastle profile image62
    PeterCastleposted 7 years ago

form or function?

Which one is important form or function? Should form have to follow function?

2. Ellen Page profile image58
    Ellen Pageposted 7 years ago

Form does always follow function, even if the function is not obvious.  Every object has a purpose it was made for, from perfoming a task to even just providing aesthetics.  I can't think of a single thing that has form WITHOUT a reason.  People have legs to walk, mosquitos have needle-like mouths, air has the specific elements that living beings need to breath to survive.  This may be a simplistic answer, but I believe it is true.

3. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 7 years ago

In many cases, it's an artificial distinction.  Sometimes form spectacularly doesn't follow the obvious function--take for example the Oscar Mayer wienermobile--clearly, the shape of a hot-dog is not the most efficient to fulfill the ostensible automotive function.  (That thing's got to be a bear to get into a tight parking place. . . :-)  )

In reality, though, the form is following a 'meta-function'--in this case, the function of advertising for Oscar Meyer.  In that regard, it's highly effective, as the fact that it popped into my head as an example testifies!

(Even more so, if you find yourself getting hungry right about now. . .)

4. Jonathan Grimes profile image74
    Jonathan Grimesposted 7 years ago

For me it's function as from this follows the form. I am a firm believer that things should have a function and purpose and then follws the form.

5. Vincent Velasco profile image55
    Vincent Velascoposted 7 years ago

Form = order, creativity
    Function = practicality

It's relative.

6. Kavita Martin profile image56
    Kavita Martinposted 7 years ago

Form Follows Function is an internet based onto which I convey my observations.