jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think coloring books put limits on a child's creative expression?

1. profile image0
    Teri Heltonposted 6 years ago

Do you think coloring books put limits on a child's creative expression?

Do you think coloring books and their 'stay within the lines' process, put limits on a child's creative expression?

2. Anurag2008 profile image97
    Anurag2008posted 6 years ago

I always believed that drawing books are a child's best friend. When I was a kid, my parents presented art books so that I can be more creative. However, coloring books aren't a poor choice either. A child should be given both drawing and coloring books as gifts.

3. KrystalD profile image79
    KrystalDposted 6 years ago

I do feel that coloring books limit creative expression. I think children should have the opportunity to create independantly.

I noticed, when teaching 4 and 5 year olds, that students who had been consistently exposed to coloring books felt there was a "right" way to draw. Many of these little ones would go as far as to refuse to draw, bursting in tears that they "can't."

Students that have been given the freedom to draw, color, and paint without any direction are much more autonomous! They general feel they can do just about anything including draw. They jump in fearlessly.

4. dragonflyfla profile image76
    dragonflyflaposted 6 years ago

Interesting question. I believe coloring books may be used to teach colors. I have never taken a survey on whether it prevents them from drawing, but I can see how it might make them nervous to draw if they have never drawn before.

Our schools used to teach drawing pre-Dewey and yes there is a right way to draw. Perhaps kids who use coloring books are aware of this and are ready for lessons on how to draw.

5. Swetankraj profile image67
    Swetankrajposted 6 years ago

No, i do not believe that a coloring book puts limit on a child's creative expression because at a particular age they are not able to draw but as their grade rises habit of drawing must be given with pencil.

6. talfonso profile image80
    talfonsoposted 5 years ago

While some people believe there are more pros than cons of coloring books, some others think it stifles children's creativity? No matter how you view it, they are here to stay. read more

working