How hard is it to learn underwater photography and do you have to learn to scuba

1. Charlu profile image81
    Charluposted 6 years ago

How hard is it to learn underwater photography and do you have to learn to scuba dive?

Has anyone ever done underwater photography and how hard is it to learn?  Is it very expensive if you just want to learn the basics and what about the cameras are they high end or can you find one pretty reasonable?

2. hewzay profile image74
    hewzayposted 6 years ago

It depends on what you want to shoot as to whether you want to learn to dive or not, but I've taken loads of great pics just freediving. In fact most I've often found it easier as when you're diving there are bubbles and bubbles equal noise which tends to scare things off.  In terms of kit, you can spend unlimited amounts of money on it but I know some pros that are just using off the shelf point and shoots with a housing and strobe and getting amazing results.  I've personally got a Canon G10 which is definitely enough for me.  Hope this helps.

3. holdmycoffee profile image64
    holdmycoffeeposted 5 years ago

I have a water-proof camera case for my regular digital camera.  I could not say I have had a great success with it.  I believe it would take some practice, but you could make this set up work.  I prefer to snurkle in a clear water on a calm day.  Scuba diving is just so much harder and takes a lot more practice.  You also have to watch your air, time and depth... Also, the lower you get, the stronger flash you will need since it will get darker.
    I'd stick with water-proof case and snorkle.