jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How should I start creating comics / caricatures?

1. assimilated profile image60
    assimilatedposted 5 years ago

How should I start creating comics / caricatures?

I love writing and I do it a lot (well, not on Hubpages yet). But I feel I have to learn another creative skill, music is not an option as I want to learn the piano and have no room for it right now.

So this boils down to drawing + sketching.

Any ideas how I could start doing that? I've seen dozens of tutorials already but it's more of a procrastination issue. Perhaps someone can give an inspiring hint? Or do I just have to kick my a$$?

I've added a quick sketch so that you can see where I'm on the talent scale.

1 ------ 3.2 -------------------- 10

Or more like a solid 2.0?

Help!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7073626_f260.jpg

2. Shaddie profile image91
    Shaddieposted 5 years ago

I have a hub around these parts that might actually be able to help you... http://shaddie.hubpages.com/hub/Animal-Anatomy Of course, it is geared more towards animals and you are most likely interested in drawing humans, but the same instructions apply.

The biggest thing, and what I stress near the end of the article, is PRACTICE. Don't just read, don't just think about it, don't just sit around woe-ing and worrying, just jump right in and don't be afraid to make mistakes smile The more you draw and the less you care about perfection, the better!

1. Shaddie profile image91
      Shaddieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I would like to add by saying, something that helped me when I was very first starting was drawing comic characters that I liked - particularly Calvin and Hobbes. I would open up one of the books and just start copying down the poses and expressions.

2. assimilated profile image60
      assimilatedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much. Yeah, my girlfriend is an artist but doesn't know anything about drawing comics. She's more of a realist. She also stresses how important it is to start slowly and gradually become better.

I need to work on my patience skills...

3. flashmakeit profile image70
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

That is a start!  Now you need to think of a story for your cartoon and maybe even buy an animation software to animate your story, color it in and submit it on the web, Or create a story on paper, add color, captions, scan and submit it to some cartoon websites.  Good luck and I would like to see more of your work.

1. assimilated profile image60
      assimilatedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Haha, thanks :-)

It's a good idea to show my (crappy) work to others via the internet. I'm currently thinking of a challenge for next month or something like that. BTW: I want to do as little as possible with computer software. At least for now.

working