jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Double crochet beanie for a toddler

1. dipsmi profile image73
    dipsmiposted 5 years ago

Double crochet beanie for a toddler

I cant seem to find pattern for a double crochet beanie for a 1 year old if I am using 5mm crochet needle.

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Well that's a problem, so what's the question?

3. Lee Tea profile image92
    Lee Teaposted 5 years ago

Well, just to give you a basic idea, you'd start with a round (ch 4, slip knot through the first ch), then increase it to the size of the head. To do this:
    8 dc through the center ring, slip knot through the first ch, then ch 1.  (use some sort of marker ring or safety pin to mark the beginning chain).
    2 dc in each loop from the previous row, sk through first knot, ch 1.
    (1 dc in first loop, 2 dc in the next) repeat back to the beginning, sk, ch 1.
    (1 dc in first and second loops, 2 dc in the next,) repeat back to beginning, sk, ch 1.
    (1 dc in the first, second, third loops, 2 dc in the next), repeat to beginning, sk, ch 1.
    continue this increase until the hat is big enough for the head, then hold that pattern until the beanie is a long as you'd like. you might want to finish it off with a few rows of sc to give it like a tighter brim that'll help keep it in place. i'm no expert, but i like working in rouds - hope this helps! (I also hope this makes sense, as my daughter has me reading Beauty and the Beast to her right now as I'm typing lol)

be well - Lee @ Lee's Teas

1. dipsmi profile image73
      dipsmiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Dear  Lee Tea,  I hope this works. Thank you.

2. Lee Tea profile image92
      Lee Teaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I just realized I used the abbrev "sk" instead of "sl st" for the slip stitch at the end of each round - I apologize! sure hope this helps in time!

4. JamesGrantSmith profile image58
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

My grandmother was sitting next to me when i saw this question, so i asked her and she suggested trying a light and a different size needle. Also take regular breaks.

working