jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What does ch4(count as dc and ch1) mean? This is at the start of the row of a

1. profile image46
    clairevposted 7 years ago

What does ch4(count as dc and ch1) mean? 
    This is at the start of the row of a sweater

2. stampinwithfab profile image88
    stampinwithfabposted 7 years ago

I just started to crochet but I make it to mean, 'make a chain of 4 which will count as your double crochet plus one chain'. I hope someone more experienced will answer you asap, though. Good luck with your sweater.

3. Nancy B. profile image71
    Nancy B.posted 7 years ago

Stampinwithfab has it correct. ch4 means to make a chain of 4 stitches. When followed by (count as dc and ch1) this indicates that you are using the first 3 sts in the chain in place of a dc or double crochet st. The remaining ch will be a spacer stitch used as part of the design.
    Your next instruction probably included dc (double crochet) in next st and ch 1 and potentially repeat to the end of the row. This will give you a spaced pattern of dc sts that are held apart by the ch spacers. This is a pretty standard increase technique for crochet patterns.
    When you get to the end of the next row, or if you're crocheting in the round the end of that row, your instruction will read along the lines of connect with sl st (slip stitch) in the 3rd ch of the beginning ch 4. This will ensure that the spacer ch is left in place to complete the pattern on that row.

Hope that helps.

4. Stacie Naczelnik profile image72
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 7 years ago

ch4 = 4 chain stitches
    Count as dc = the ch4 will count as a double crochet stitch
    ch1 = 1 chain stitch.

working