jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How does art allow us to escape from the harsh realities of mundane life?

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

How does art allow us to escape from the harsh realities of mundane life?

Can music, painting, poetry and art in general allow a genuine escape from the humdrum, working reality of the day. How come we need to free our 'spiritual' selves to reach this ideal perfect place of near bliss?

2. Lynne_Eliz profile image75
    Lynne_Elizposted 5 years ago

Writing definitely helps us escape the everyday humdrum of life.  Working is a neccesity, yet our mind does need a place to escape to. Overloading our minds with all the realities we face each day cannot be good for our health, hence the need to 'freee our spiritual selves'.  Allowing the thoughts to grow in our minds allows mental stimulation to penetrate and prepares us for all the challenges heading our way tomorrow.

chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting how you relate the 'realities we face each day' with the state of our health. You suggest a negative influence which implies you think writing may be therapeutic. Could be a fruitful idea.

3. thoughtfulgirl2 profile image92
    thoughtfulgirl2posted 5 years ago

Ah, yes, you are speaking my language.  I am an artist who "escapes" on a regular basis into my studio, garden , or a great book.  The arts work their magic on humanity by keeping things in perspective.  What are the most important things in life?  For one humor, (ever read the cartoon "Get Fuzzy")?  Beauty is also a great motivator.  Seeing beauty around us or hearing amazing music brings us back from just being production machines to fully functioning humane human beings:)

chef-de-jourposted 5 years agoin reply to this

As humans our ability to laugh and appreciate humour (humor) sets us apart from the animal world and gives us freedom of a kind. It connects us to the real world but also releases us.  I like your use of the words magic and beauty, good partners.

4. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Art in many forms in the visual variety, as well as written work, and music, may well be a means of escape, and by the same token, the experiences of our lives may be included in our work from an emotional heart felt way and display the richness that each of us may show to the world. Many famous artists, writers and musicians were handicapped in some manner but through artistic expression they overcame and went far beyond their expectations and contributed greatly to our civilization. The spirit within each of us are very unique and special, and is what drives us to be creative in our expressions. When I write, or paint wildlife, I do escape, in a way, yet, my work reflects my passion and emotions that I try to share with all who may wish to read or view my work. This is a very good and thoughtful question you have asked.chef-de-jour.

chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the experiences we all go through can greatly contribute to works of art and creativity, good point. Real life may be tough but without challenges, emotionally, artists might not express what it is they have inside.

working