jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What are the basics to sketching does anyone know ?

1. tati134 profile image61
    tati134posted 4 years ago

What are the basics to sketching does anyone know ?

I sketched my son , and it looks nice but someone told me its more of a drawing than a sketch

2. Lyndsay Gamber profile image95
    Lyndsay Gamberposted 4 years ago

A sketch is a fast drawing. It doesn't have as much structure as a drawing. It also usually has undefined borders and can typically look messy. Sometimes features are undefined or left out completely.

1. tati134 profile image61
      tati134posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I will try again , thank you Lyndsay Gamber.

3. K Belsito profile image60
    K Belsitoposted 4 years ago

my understanding is that a sketch is typically defined by the style of line used, rather than using solid defined lines, a sketch will use a lot of short, quick lines to define an edge in this way a sketch can easily be refined and the lines moved slightly by thickening them in one direction or another.

4. BrandonBailey profile image77
    BrandonBaileyposted 3 years ago

I've been an artist for approximately 7 years, and the difference between a sketch is that a sketch is basically a precursor to a drawing. A sketch is quicker and is more focused on generalized details that are used later when you start the actual drawing. As such, a sketch is usually sloppier than a drawing, and uses short strokes rather than the longer strokes of drawings. As for the person saying your sketch looking more like a drawing than a sketch, I would take that as a compliment.