jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you know how to tat?

1. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 3 years ago

Do you know how to tat?

Do you even know what "tatting" means?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago

I know what it is, but I have never done it. It is a type of needlework for making lace.

Laura Schneiderposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are correct! It's a nearly lost art form nowdays, which is a shame because it's so beautiful! My dear grandmother taught me when I was a kid, and I've since forgotten how. But she loved making lace, and could tat though she was nearly blind.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image73
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

No. I have done several types of embroidery and sewing but I have not done tatting.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image82
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

My grandmother tatted, but the best I could do was crochet. Grandma had a beautiful bone shuttle.
    A friend of mine uses a nail to tat.

Laura Schneiderposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ooooh, cool--a bone shuttle! I've never done tatting with a needle (let alone a nail)--I learned using Grandma's Bakelite plastic shuttle. :-) I'm with you--I can crochet lace, but I forgot how to tat. I'll re-learn how to do it! It's beautiful!

5. Penny G profile image72
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

AWW a very old dying art. My 33 year old daughter does and very well. She uses a shuttle. She learned from a friend she had in an intentional community. Most of the people who know how have bad I sight due to being elderly so teaching others is very hard.

working