How to plant your Small Backyard to attract beautiful Birds?

1. Michaelchernin profile image59
    Michaelcherninposted 3 years ago

How to plant your Small Backyard to attract beautiful Birds?

Here are the list of type of plants you will consider.
    1. Edible fruit plants
    2. Accent plants
    3. shrubs that have flowers that produces aroma

Any other idea?
    Please I look forward for further discussion/contributions. Thanks

2. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

If you live in North America the National Wildlife Foundation has a most wonderful program and information that addresses this. I turned our back and front yards into a National Wildlife Foundation recognized Wildlife Habitat. It was a year-long project yet well worth it. It is a combination of native and a few non-native plants (bougainvillea, lantana, bromeliads) yet the over-all thesis was to provide shade areas, food and water sources since we live in the Southern U.S. In the backyard I planted some citrus and peach yet it appears the bougainvillea became the most significant attractor for butterflies and birds. With regards to the Southern United States it was important to provide a higher canopy of trees (mostly Quercus species- oak trees); thus, the lower strata-canopy becomes a habitat for butterflies and birds...

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

The desk in my home office overlooks my small front yard, where, several years ago, I tore out all the grass, and replanted with native and naturalized plants. My yard is full of birds and butterflies!

There are some generalities that apply to gardens in all areas. If you want to attract hummingbirds, plant flowering shrubs that produce colorful flowers with long throats. If you want birds to nest in your yard, provide trees and dense bushes of varying heights. If you want birds to come to visit, plant bushes that produce berries, or grasses that produce seeds. Add a bird feeder, and a bird bath.

I suggest you find a local nursery that specializes in plants that are native to your area, and tell them you want to attract birds. They'll guide you to whatever will make the birds that live in your area happy.