Why are Electric Autos so Expensive? Govt Needs to Help

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

If the govt was so determined to help clean the environment and stop global warming then why don't they give every American driver a voucher for a new or recent electric car?
    With gas prices climbing and dam ethanol getting worse mileage, I think the citizens can use a real bail out and give  each of us a deep discount for one...Anyone else?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If every American driver gets (and uses) a voucher, then every American driver will have to pay for that voucher through increased taxes.  You effectively buy your own voucher. TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).

However, I believe that new models (Chevy Volt, maybe the Leaf, etc.) do get a break from Uncle Sam.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

New technology is always expensive. The price will come down as the parts get made in larger quantities.  Right now there is very little economy of scale.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Electric cars aren't sustainable.  They use rare earth metals, contain lots of toxins and the majority of the electricity they run on is produced from fossil fuels.  No form of personal-use automobile is good for the environment.

If you want to see things change, start by actually changing how you live, not just consuming the same way via different means.  Demanding a deep discount to keep using fossil fuels and polluting the environment isn't the answer.

Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The deep discount was referring to the electric cars..

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The way electric cars are made not is not the way they will always be made.

5. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

Because electric cars are an ironic joke that laughs at the ignorance of a ridiculous, unthinking, un-reading American populace that loves John Lennon  and feel-good science. The powers that be, who are in opposition to the other powers that be, took some science and some hippy stuff and perverted it into stuff that people who like to feel good would buy. They knew the people who like to feel good wouldn't spend one second doing any research on whether or not the feel-good solutions where any better than the demonized systems of the past, and they just "presented a solution" that... well, felt good, and BAM a whole new industry emerged. So now, we have the dumbass feel-good people spending all their money on the feel-good solutions, cursing the people who cling to the old makes-sense solutions and ignoring the actual science (which doesn't prove what the feel good guys want it to prove, even while making a totally valid case for climate change), and, well, everyone is buying something, and nobody cares that both "sides" are supporting completely unsustainable consumerism.

We deserve whatever we get, and, whether you think you believe that or not, it doesn't matter, because that's what we're going to get, regardless of whatever dumb partisan garbage you are about to regurgitate based on what your particular side has taught you to parrot. Just remember, you are buying their stuff, donating to their causes and campaigns, and making there arguments here with your reply.

Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whats your solution?
      I am looking for a viable alternative to the dismal gas fueled junk we have dumped on us idiots.
      Electric ,or maybe solar powered..anything to get us away from the gas guzzlers that will eventually be our demise.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

While waiting for the technology to develop, you could switch to a fuel-efficiant car. I have a 2 door sedan, which will get me 500 miles to the tank, easily. You could also use a hybrid; the Prius has been very successful. If that is not an option, you could also consolidate trips, ride a bicycle, carpool, or take public transportation. There are ways to use gas-burning vehicles in a way which doesn't "gas guzzle."

Like others have said, technology takes time to develop, and is expensive at first. It took many dozens of years to develop gas-burning cars to what they are today. Electric cars will come along; though I think the economy has hindered that a bit.

2. Cobrafan profile image80
        Cobrafanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gas fueled junk? I'll take a gas powered car over any alternative fuel any day. The Prius, God of all hybrids, is actually more harmful to our environment until you've driven it over 100,000 miles. That means it takes the average person 10+ years to make their Prius "green." How many people do you know that keep a vehicle for more than 10 years? Probably very few. Screw all this alternative energy crap. Engine your internal combustion engines while we still have the fuel to use them.

6. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Electric cars aren't sustainable (yet?).

I could not possibly drive an electric car to and from work. My commute is 90 miles. I hear electric cars only charge for ~100 miles, and I don't want to take that kind of risk. Lets face it, there aren't nearly enough charging stations. Certainly not any at my work.

Why should the government fund yet another social program? We are already deep in the hole in debt. We don't have this kind of money. Maybe if Bush didn't eff up the economy, it might be another story. But Gore didn't win, and that's an inconvenient truth wink

Also, how can gas prices "keep going up?" They have been about the same for years, ranging somewhere from 3.50 to 4.30 per gallon. Just a rough guesstimate, though. Basing this on my experience filling up my car since ~2008.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)