jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Where are the classic cars of tomorrow going to come from?

1. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Where are the classic cars of tomorrow going to come from?

I don't think any of today's cars will become classics, no matter how "kewl" people now think they are.  To be a classic, a car has to be repairable.  Parts have to be available.  Where are the little computer gizmos to come from in 25 years to get a car to run?  The fancy headlight assemblies?  The...?  Where are the now-required super-computer diagnostics equipment to figure out what's wrong, to come from?

2. profile image44
    13murf13posted 7 years ago

I'm not sure what you're asking but here in Reno, NV we have "Hot August Nights" usually the week of August every year.  The entire city is filled with classic cars from all over the world.  You would have to book now to show a vehicle in 2011.  Same time frame just to get a room.  Our population pretty much doubles during that week.  I would recommend it for any old car enthusiast.

3. rzibit profile image59
    rzibitposted 7 years ago

this will be a classic one day http://hubpages.com/hub/Zenvo-ST1

4. profile image47
    JonathanElderposted 7 years ago

Generally a car that is interesting due to engineering\ provenance, or rare, or both. Some of the limited run cars from Aston Martin, Mercedes, Nobel, etc. Many of the small manufacturers are likely to produce cars that are kept an maintained.

As for the question on parts: if there is demand, someone will start to make pattern parts. Older cars nowadays have to have parts made for them, or located from stock of old spares in storage somewhere.  The increasing complexity may make this harder, as a wider variety of parts need used, and they have to be made to finer tolerances, but there is no reason our engineering base cannot keep up.