jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should texting be universally outlawed nationally while driving a vehicle on pub

1. wacknuts profile image56
    wacknutsposted 8 years ago

Should texting be universally outlawed nationally while driving a vehicle on public roads?

If so, what kind of punishment should be meted out against offenders of texting (non wreck),  texting (wreck), wreck with injury(s), wreck with fatality(s)

2. khood1357 profile image63
    khood1357posted 8 years ago

Even though I am guilty of texting while driving, I say yes it should be outlawed and the punishment should be some kind of fine as it is for most other road rule offenders.

3. profile image0
    loriamooreposted 8 years ago

Yes, absolutely, texting should be universally outlawed nationally while operating a vehicle on public roads.  A vehicle can be a dangerous instrument and the primary responsibility while driving is to operate it safely without distractions, including texting, which takes the driver's eyes off the road long enough to cause an accident.

The punishment for texting should be the same, whether it's a non-wreck, injury wreck, fatality wreck, or non-injury wreck, just like speeding tickets or DUI's.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Yes. Distracted driving has become a huge problem. You can buy a cheap bluetooth device for around $30 so there is no excuse. If you are texting, then it is obviously unimportant. I don't think that distracted driving should add to the punishment in the event of a wreck; such as aggrevated DWI. However, it should definitely be charged as a secondary offense, like not wearing a seat belt. Also, it could rightly be used to help determine fault in an accident. I would stamp the same fine on it as driving while talking on a cell phone without a hands-free device. I think it's around $100 in fines in most cities.