New texting while driving law

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Desertarmor profile image64
    Desertarmorposted 12 years ago

There is a new Texting while driving law in the works, Do you think that is the Text Sender's responsibilty if the receiver is a driver and gets into a wreck?  The new law that is being proposed is that the text message sender can be liable (Ability to be sued) if the text message receiver is a driver and gets into an accident.  Do you agree????

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am totally against Texting and driving, but this law sounds dumb. It is the responsibility of the DRIVER to not view the text or make a text.  Who is to say the person sending the text knows if a person is driving or not?
      The law that should be made is one that makes texting and driving the same as DWI/DUI. Phones can and should be shut down by technology from even allowing texting while a vehichle is moving.

1. autumn18 profile image58
        autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. How would the text sender be held liable if they don't even know if the person is driving or not? It's not logical. People have to be responsible and just not mess with their phones or devices while driving.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the Law about Texting and Driving should be put into place.
      No I don't agree. The sender of the text isn't and shouldn't be held responsible.

It shouldn't transfer the responsibility to someone else. The responsibility of responding to the text while driving, lays on the driver and common sense about driving. Laws state that 2 hands should be one the wheel at all times for better control. Responding to a text diverts attention from driving, which can be extremely dangerous not only to the driver but other people. There are already enough accidents from dumb/stupid stunts from drivers.

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where is this law trying to be passed?

4. Aneegma profile image70
      Aneegmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. Sally's Trove profile image78

In no universe, of course. That's why I asked the OP where this law is being proposed. The idea of it is total nuts.

5. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you phone them first to find if it is OK to send them a text, or are they driving lol

2. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I thought the law read, that while driving both hands need to be on the wheel, at 10 and 2?  Enforcing this Law would stop burger munching, coffee drinking, texting, cell phones, and any other distraction the driver might be engaging in.  Another Law is redundant, no?

I don't think "10 and 2" was ever any part of a law, but it certainly was and is a "best practice" for responsible driving (although "9 and 3" is gaining favor).

I'm gonna drink my coffee while driving, thank you!

Unless you have a hands-free mobile setup, you have no business having your cell phone turned on while driving.

1. Reality Bytes profile image72
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Both hands on the wheel is the Law?

I don't think so, Cags. But maybe a legal expert can chime in. I do remember, though, that some town in California starting fining car drivers and passengers for smoking in their cars. I'm not sure what the status of that is.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Sally,

I copied directly from Mass.gov's RMV driver's information page.

This goes for the passing the driver's test.

Passenger Vehicle Test Procedures
            You should arrive approximately five minutes early for your scheduled road test
            appointment. You will not be able to take your test if you are late.
            Before your road test, the RMV examiner will inspect your vehicle to ensure that it is
            properly registered, that all equipment is in good working order, and that the vehicle
            provides a safe, adequate, and clean seat for the examiner and easy access to the brake.
            After the examiner inspects and approves the vehicle, the driving test will begin. Only you,
            the examiner, and your sponsor are allowed in the vehicle during the exam. The examiner
            will sit in the seat next to you; your sponsor must sit in the rear. No children or pets are
            allowed. If the examiner so authorizes, a language interpreter may also be allowed in the
            vehicle. You and your sponsor are not allowed to converse unless authorized by the
            examiner.
            The examiner’s goal is to observe your driving performance. During a road test, you should
            be prepared to demonstrate your ability to...
            • Use hand signals
            • Start the engine
            • Start and stop the vehicle
            • Parallel Park
            • Back the vehicle approximately 50 feet
            • Make left - right turns
            • Start, stop, and turn the vehicle on a hill
            • Turn around between curbs (three point turn)
            • Enter and leave intersections
            • Recognize and obey traffic signs, lights and signals, and other rules of the road
            • Use good driving sense
            In addition to judging your overall driving skills, the examiner will note how well you follow
            general good-driving procedures, including whether you...
            • Use good driving posture, with both hands always placed properly on the wheel
            • Drive in the proper lane and look carefully and signal properly before changing lanes
            • Maintain enough distance between your vehicle and the one ahead of you
            • Always drive at safe speeds to comply with speed limits and varying traffic conditions
            • Properly yield the right-of-way
            • Are generally aware of your actions and particularly those of other drivers

These are things you need to accomplish to get your license. They are standards based on policy. Possibly, the policy is based on law, but to say that 10 and 2 or both hands on the wheel are legislated is a stretch. smile

Actually, when I took my drivers test the police officer noted I did as instructed by the handbook issued. The permit test requires that a driver know that 9 and 3 are the location standard for the hands to be on the wheel at this time. When I took the permit test is was 10 and 2.

Yes, times changed, and still there's debate about hands on the wheel clock. smile

I don't doubt there's a debate on hands on the wheel. wink Petty things amuse the small minded. lol

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

A few weeks ago a woman making a call (not texting) smacked into the back of my daughter's nice, new, car.  (I could have KILLED that woman that night.)  (My daughter is now fine now and wasn't seriously hurt, but she wasn't even stopped when the woman plowed into her.  My daughter said it was a woman about my age, calling her daughter. 

Just yesterday, a kid in Massachusetts got a year in jail and a 15-year loss of his license after being found guilty of killing the man he hit when he lost control of his car.

Yes.  There needs to be a law.  No senders to drivers shouldn't be held responsible.  Also, though, people just need to grow up when it comes to this acting like five-year-olds and being too stupid to realize they need their eyes/hands on the road.  The texting/calling thing is almost worse than drunks killing people on the road, because at least drunks aren't in their right mind.  These texting/calling pea-brains are supposedly in their right mind.  They're just among the zillions of people who think "it won't happen to me".

The texting/cell phone problem is widespread and relatively new and involves typing and reading (etc.).  I don't think people should start throwing in everything else anyone can ever do (like take a simple swig of a drink or smoke) because they aren't the same problem that texting in these days.  (Years ago, a woman turning around and yelling at her kids plowed into my father's car.   There's a point where texting/calling and "everything else" shouldn't be all blended and considered for outlawing.  Do people with sneezing problems then also get outlawed from driving in cars, along with texting?  People with kids?  The texting/cell phone problem is big enough that it's become its own thing, I think. (As with so many other things, I think it doesn't hurt for people to keep talking about this subject wherever discussions go on, either.  Social pressure can work at least to some degree.)

I agree that the conversation should be ongoing.

I'll also add that learning to drive in this country (USA) used to be something that was part of a public high-school curriculum, but that's all gone now. Where do kids learn to drive these days?

About 25 years ago, when driver's ed began to disappear from public schools, folks of my generation wailed about where youngsters got their drivers' licenses. The joke was, at Woolworth's. Woolworth's is now gone, but the joke continues on with modifying Woolworth's to WalMart's.

The point is, no one is teaching kids how to drive responsibly, unless parents make sure their children are taught by certified driving schools, and that comes at a cost. An additional sadness is that the parents of young drivers coming up today probably never had responsible driver's education themselves.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree about driver's ed (my mother made sure we all got it), but I think a big problem for young people (but also for a lot of older people who haven't experienced something only because they've been lucky) is that "It can't happen to me" thinking.

Young kids have that thinking anyway (and one kind of hates to rob them of it), but a lot of older people have it too; and they mainly have it because they've gotten away with doing one thing or another while being fortunate enough not to have had something happen.  Older people tend to look at their history of doing something (like texting or tail-gating or speeding), seeing that that they haven't yelled killed anyone and are, themselves, still alive; and then assuming it's because they're "so skilled" or "so capable" THEY can do whatever it is without worrying that something awful will happen to them.  I almost think it's often the people with years of getting away with taking chances who are worst; because they'll look at their "track record" (or nothing but good luck), it fuels a false sense of competence and invincibility.  When it comes to accidents there can be a "perfect storm" type of phenomenon; and people who haven't happened to encounter that "perfect storm" often do get away with their risky behavior.  The problem is that one driver can run into that perfect-storm situation and end up sending his car flying into the car of innocent people who weren't taking that "remote" chance at all.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What, like my father, 55 years driving and never had an accident but saw plenty in his rear view mirror?  lol

2. Sally's Trove profile image78

You bring up two important issues. One is about defensive driving and the other is about losing independence.

Young people do think they are immortal, no doubt about that, and that's why learning the principles of defensive driving is so important. Sometimes I think, unless a youngster is in charge of farm equipment, he shouldn't get his driver's license until he's maybe 25. Is that the age where that immortality begins to loosen its grip?

When folks are older, and, as you have said, haven't caused a horrible incident, they feel confident in what they do. However, many of them also know, in conversations with themselves, that their reactions are not what they once were or their eyesight is not what it once was. But they don't want to lose that independence, almost a right, of getting behind the wheel. It's a tough thing.

I'm sorry to say that an older friend of mine called the other day and said she'd like to take a familiar road trip, a trip she'd taken for years, but she'd feel better if she had a passenger who could read the road signs. I know what's going on in terms of her eyesight, but she's not willing to step back and relinquish her right to drive.

All I can say is that when I get to the point where I need a passenger to read road signs, I voluntarily stop driving.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)