jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What should be the punishment for distracted driving, i.e, texting while driving

1. alexandriaruthk profile image76
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What should be the punishment for distracted driving, i.e, texting while driving?

Can you revoke the license of people who are doing these, for how long? Perhaps they could just attend seminar about safe driving or jail time is needed even if there is no casualty? What do you think is a fair punishment?

2. Vasiliki Bouras profile image60
    Vasiliki Bourasposted 5 years ago

I think that the punishment should be similar to driving while intoxicated. Instead of DUI, should be DUIT. Driving Under the Influence of Texting.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Banned from driving for life and a heavy fine.

4. Cobrafan profile image79
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

I think a step by step punishment system should be put in place. For example:

1st offense - $xxx.00 fine

2nd offense - Doubled fine plus community service

3rd offense - Tripled fine and potential jail time

4th offense - Same fine as 3rd offense, mandatory jail time

5th offense - 5 year suspension of license, same fine as 3/4 offense, mandatory jail time

6th offense - Permanent suspension of license, $xx,xxx.00 fine, mandatory jail time

I can't imagine anyone wouldn't learn their lesson after the 5th offense, but if someone didn't they would be in for a rough life because they couldn't obey the law.

5. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

You should have your vehicle and your licence taken from you for a period of time. You should be fined and banned from driving. This would be for a first offence obviously rising with repeat offenders,

Besides, mobile phones in cars, even hands free are distracting. If a call or text is so important stop your vehicle and make the call or text.

I have no sympathy for phone using drivers. Throw all the books at them,