jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the first things that usually wear out on a 1991 Ford Taurus?

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image84
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

What are the first things that usually wear out on a 1991 Ford Taurus?

Besides brakes, etc. The real stuff. Motor mounts, etc.

2. profile image0
    Yarightposted 7 years ago

The old Ford "tortoise" as I call it could be one of the worst vehicles Ford ever made. Other than the normal wear, and tear a vehicle endures the Taurus always seems to go through transmissions.

Other than the Tonka toy transmissions they put in there the interiors of those cars fall apart easily.

3. Powerful Pierre profile image80
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

I owned a standardTaurus many moons ago.  Always had trouble with the tranny and the u joints. Was glad to get rid of it within 3 years. The Engine was hard on oil too.  YECH!!  bad memories here. AS for Toyota's I owned they ran excellent

4. Gerber Ink profile image84
    Gerber Inkposted 7 years ago

I owned one of these while in college many moons ago. After many repairs, the following were what needed repair most frequently: distributor coil, water pump, tranny, fuel pump. At one point the local mechanic said, "don't ever bring it back." I traded it in for a new leased vehicle and swore off used vehicles after that.

5. Chatkath profile image76
    Chatkathposted 7 years ago

In our experience, these are not very well made cars as you may have heard, so you must be aware of most everything. The first thing to go is typically the front suspension and the transmissions also go out often and are quite expensive to fix, perhaps a $3000 repair.
    If you do not yet own this car, I would not recommend buying - If you already own, be sure to maintain well.
    Happy & Safe Driving