How long to go between oil changes?

1. RGAldriedge profile image59
    RGAldriedgeposted 7 years ago

How long to go between oil changes?

My new 2011 Nissan Rogue didn't come with a maintenacne guide.  How many miles between oil changes?  My old toyota wen 5000 miles between changes, per the maintenence guide.

2. YoJDawg profile image81
    YoJDawgposted 7 years ago

They used to say every 3 months or 3,000 miles, whatever game first. A lot of people have moved it to 5 months, or 5,000 miles. It really all depends on how you drive, people who drive hard, work trucks, stop and go, etc, it puts a lot more strain on your engine which in turn means you should change your oil more often. I like to do it every 3,000 miles or 3 months just because thats what it always was. As always though, you should follow whatever your owners manual says, it is often the best way to go, hope it helps.

3. profile image49
    jake19posted 7 years ago

every 3,000 or 4,000 miles i wouldnt go no more than that because you want to avoid haveing crud build up in the motor from lack off care for your car.. if u dnt change  your oil on a regular basis your risking urselfalot of motor trouble, like burnt pistons, cracked heads, or u could even sling a rod or lock up the bearings, and this means you'll have to purchase a new motor and they can get exspesive.... so if i were u i would make sure to cheack the water level in the radiater, and make sure the motors full off oil and the tansmisions full of fluid every morning before u crank up and leave this way u want have to worrie about breaking down unless u run out of gas and it helps increase ur engine life. so remember allways check water level, oil level, and transmision fluid, its also helpfull to make sure your car has enough brake fluid in it as well , and change the oil in the vehical every 3 or 4,000 miles and make sure u have a complete tune up with every oil change and change your timing belt or chain every 60,000 miles and ur guarenteed to have reliable and dependable transpertation that u can count on starting up and running like brand new with just a little turn forwards with the ignition.....   and one other thang u can do to keep ur car healthy, dont dog the heck out of it , drive carefull and responsible, and keep it shined up make sure u give ur car a bath on a regular basis and keep the interior wiped down and the carpet vacumed up.   trust me ull get the maximum use out of ur car than the average american citizen, i hope this was a helpfull answer to everybody and wish u good luck with ur automobiles and auto maintnance......

working