jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Do you need to change engine oil every 3 months?

1. successdotnet profile image58
    successdotnetposted 5 years ago

Do you need to change engine oil every 3 months?

2. TempusFugit profile image60
    TempusFugitposted 5 years ago

Check your vehicles owners manuals, Most suggest every 5 months or 5,000 miles. The Oil Co's suggest every 3 months or 3,000 miles. Imagine that.

successdotnetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're right. Maybe the manuals should have the info. I wonder why the engine oil manufactures suggested 3 months.

3. bankscottage profile image94
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I don't believe that is true anymore.  Not with the better oils that are available.  I go by the owner's manual.  My Hondas can go about 7,000 miles and my Mini can go 15,000.  But, I do get my oil changed when it is due.

4. Goody5 profile image67
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

It really depends on how much you drive. I always heard 3,000 miles, however I usually wait until 5,000 miles, and not a time period. This method has always worked for me. I had two Toyota trucks and both of them are still going today with over 450,000 miles a piece on them. You will have to find the method that works best for you. Keep on hubbing.

successdotnetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow 450K miles clocked ? Good one

5. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 5 years ago

No, changing oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles is basic and what mechanics will tell you. It is up to the individual to decide when to do it, considering the amount of driving  and how you drive. If you have a "oil change" light or indicator on your car, you can go by that. When I bought a car that was a year old, I would change the oil more frequent to keep it up, but then decided to call the 800 # on the manual to ask about it. They told me I did not have to change oil until the indicator light went on. I said I have gone up to 4,000 mi. and doesn't go on. I was told it depends on the driving I do, and I didn't drive it much, it may not go on until 7,000 or 8,000 miles. It is ok to wait...that's the whole purpose of the indicator.

1. lupine profile image73
      lupineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for choosing me for Best Answer!

6. Cobrafan profile image77
    Cobrafanposted 5 years ago

It depends on how much you drive, what kind of oil you use, and how much you care about your car. If you don't drive 3,000 miles in 3 months then you can hold off a little longer for an oil change. Conventional oil needs to be changed more often than synthetic oil. And you can change the oil whenever you feel like it. I've gone well over 20k miles between oil changes in my beater Lumina and it still runs like a champ (it actually runs through tires faster than oil).

working