jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can you tell if you need a new clutch?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

How can you tell if you need a new clutch?

I'm having trouble putting my manual transmission into gear.  I really have to shove it to get into second gear sometimes. I'm wondering if this means I need a new clutch.

2. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago

That is definitely what your problem is. There is a remote possibility that it is the transmission. Generally you will go through more than one clutch before a transmission prob occurs. Haven't looked under a car in quite awhile. There used to be an exposed cable from the clutch pedal with an adjuster on it which can be tightened, but that is temporary. It is usually the pressure plate and throwout bearing which needs replacing.

3. Npasternack profile image72
    Npasternackposted 6 years ago

That could very well be a burnt out clutch. If the car refuses to stay in gear, or pops out of gear at speed then you definitely have a burnt out clutch. It could also be a problem with your transmission, but it is more likely that your clutch is wearing out. If the pedal feels very loose and lacks that distinctive "bite" point you may be used to then the clutch needs to be replaced.

4. Kadi2428 profile image58
    Kadi2428posted 6 years ago

mechanical can you check this out for me im having trouble putting my manual transmission into gear. I really have to shove it to get into second gear sometimes.

5. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 6 years ago

You could be low on manual transmission fluid. Depending on your vehicle this is relatively easy to check you could start with this first just in case. Mine was hard to shift when low. As soon as I filled it up shifts like butter again.

rorshak sobchak

working