jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

My car makes a loud screeching sound from front passenger side, while I am drivi

1. profile image47
    pat518posted 6 years ago

My car makes a loud screeching sound from front passenger side, while I am driving gets worse

happens whether I turn my wheel right left or just driving straight. It comes and goes does not happen all the time. Is it safe to go on a long trip.

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I'm not an expert (and I'm sure someone who is will come along shortly) but it sounds like maybe a worn-out belt. There are a couple of other things it might be, depending on the type of screeching, but in my experience that's usually what it is. Personally I would not go on a long trip until it was looked at.

3. truthfornow profile image84
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

Did you check your tires?  I had a tire making a strange sound once, and I actually thought there was something else wrong with my car.

4. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 6 years ago

I'm thinking power streering pump problem or low power steering fluid.Could be a bad or loose power steering belt.

5. ttagpine profile image80
    ttagpineposted 6 years ago

Really need more information about the car like, is it front or rear wheel drive? Front or rear engine? Does it screech when in park, or only while driving? Is it louder when you hit the brakes?
    Here are 2 guesses that it could be. Bad wheel bearings, or sticking brake calipers. Either of which could lockup the wheel & put your car into a skid. This lockup rarely happens, but it's not a good idea to go on a long trip until you find the problem & fix it.
    The other posters have good answers too. I would go with the bad belt, or steering pump first.

6. BizGenGirl profile image90
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

It's most likely your power steering pump and it sounds like the pump itself is wearing out or at very least leaking fluid. I wouldn't take it on a long trip until you get it fixed, but worse things have been done. Just make sure to carry two or three large jugs of power steering fluid with you and a pair of panty hose if you're not going to change the pump and belt.

7. eddiecarrara profile image95
    eddiecarraraposted 6 years ago

Your brake pad wear indicator is just starting to hit the rotor, it's telling you you need new brake pads. Read my hub on brake noises and it should clarify it better. It's best that you have it checked before any trip, long or short. Good luck.