Power seteering pump noise

1. Gaurav Devgan profile image51
    Gaurav Devganposted 6 years ago

Power seteering pump noise

have 2006 toyota corolla . Done 70,000 Kms . While I turn my steering to extreme left or right particular kind of noise comes from engine side . I had suspected pump of steering but I never feel any kind of problem in driving the car . Pl tell how to identify that the power steering pump is faulty . Also please share what would be approx cost

2. hardlymoving profile image98
    hardlymovingposted 6 years ago

Sounds like your belt is slipping.  Suggest you look into replacing the belt.  Also check you power steering fluid level.

3. eddiecarrara profile image96
    eddiecarraraposted 6 years ago

All power steering pump make noise if you turn it to extreme left or right, You should not hold the the steering wheel in the lock position (extreme left or right) because it builds pressure in the pump, that is the noise your hearing.

If you think your power steering pump is faulty, remove the belt and start the engine, if the noise goes away, then you know it was the pump making the noise. If you're not having a problem steering, the pump is doing it job, if the pump is loud when you first start turning the wheels form center, then maybe the pump is on it's way out. hardlymoving is right tho, check your power steering fluid first.