Do racing drivers feel different experiencing a crash on the track compared to a

1. Nettlemere profile image95
    Nettlemereposted 6 years ago

Do racing drivers feel different experiencing a crash on the track compared to a crash off track?

I'm interested in the psychology of the experience and whether it's possible to become inured to the stress of crashing as a professional racing car driver or whether a crash off the track is as much a shock to them as it is to everyday drivers.

2. michaelsimmons001 profile image43
    michaelsimmons001posted 6 years ago

As being a motocross and ATV racer, we have repaired many units. I have found that the actual race is the worst. 1. Because it is the money lost. 2. It is having everyone see it. 3. The reviews of the crash, it seems everyone is a back seat driver. 4. You push yourself beyond what can be done, that is what a winner does, when he fails he loses confidence and takes time to get over it. One thing is racers do not have is time, because only the young can be racers. It is not a sport for the over 25.

3. Wing Girl Kim profile image82
    Wing Girl Kimposted 6 years ago

I've never crashed (knock on wood, haha), but talking to guys who have, some say that crashing on the track, though just as shocking as crashing elsewhere, is easier to overcome, because of the expectation of crashing. Plus I meet more ex-riders who have crashed on the street and decided to stop riding as opposed to racers who find the guts to ride full throttle again.

I've posted the question on a sport bike riders' meetup (nycsportbikeriders.com) with a link here. It's an interesting question and I'm curious to see how people respond.

working