jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why did the quite manufacturing the Pinto?

1. AEvans profile image79
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

Why did the quite manufacturing the Pinto?

Remember the Pinto? That little two-door vehicle with the hatchback in the 70's? Why did the quit manufacturing the little car? Who was the manufacturer? I remember when our family bought one and it drove forever.

2. johnfl profile image61
    johnflposted 5 years ago

My wife had one, it was Ford. I recall it had issues with when being hit from behind in an accident and the gas tank would explode. Apparently the gas tank was badly positioned and I am sure Ford dropped it quickly to avoid paying massive legal bills.

AEvansposted 5 years agoin reply to this

johnfl: I didn't know they gas tank was in the wrong position. I know some always said they ran pretty good and I didn't know it was a Ford until now. smile

3. BDazzler profile image79
    BDazzlerposted 5 years ago

It was a Ford. Ford quit manufacturing them because when they suffered a rear end collision, the gas tank exploded.

Evidently, exploding gas tanks are not good for sales.

Exploding tanks would not be good. Couldn't they have modified that tank? I wonder how many are still on the road today?

4. Brandon E Newman profile image69
    Brandon E Newmanposted 5 years ago

Ours caught on fire when I was a kid. Crappy car. It was not the fuel tank, it was the faulty wiring.

Holy Canoli! At least nobody was hurt. sad

5. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

Ford made the Pinto.  The car got the reputation of being unsafe because of lawsuits resulting from all the deaths in rear-impact fires.

That is horrible! It doesn't make any sense to even create a vehicle that was unsafe.

working