jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

How many of you are bikers? What do you ride? For work or for pleasure?

1. annart profile image88
    annartposted 5 years ago

How many of you are bikers?  What do you ride?  For work or for pleasure?

I have a Yamaha 250SR; a beautiful, old, dark red bike that I ride only when the weather is fine, for pure enjoyment and on the quiet peaceful roads of Somerset.
    Do you ride your bike to work?  Do you ride in all weathers?  Do you feel vulnerable on the open road/in the city?  Tell us your experiences.

2. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 5 years ago

In the 60s, I was what was known as a rocker, I started with one of the earliest BSA Bantams,  my mate also had one, we were both engineering apprentices and we merged the two together so that we ended up with a V twin 250 Bantam.  We added high compression heads, low ratio gears and ran the hybid on Plus gas and Castrol R, the thing went like a rocket for a couple of months, then blew up.  I moved on to a Norton Dominator 600 - roadholder forks, featherbed frame, painted British racing green.

annartposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds great!  Not surprised it went like a rocket.  I remember the mods and rockers coming to blows on Brighton seafront one year - I was on the rockers' side but a bit too young to be a part of it.  However, I loved seeing them all congregate.

2. MickS profile image69
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm Essex, we used to go to 'Sahfend' for our fights.  One year there was some Fascist spouting out his hate, so we turned him and his thugs over, a couple of old bill saw the event and carried on walking.

3. annart profile image88

Ooops!  Nice one. 'Sahfend' is good!!

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Hello Annart,
           I LOVE Harley Davidson bikes. I used to love to ride until I sold my Harley recently. I had a 2000 1200 Sportster. It broke my heart to have to sale it. But, I will be getting another. There is nothing like the feeling of being on the open road in the summer. A feeling that cannot even be explained. I love the smell, the sound, everything about a Harley.

Never ridden a Harley but I know what you mean about the feeling of the open road.  Thanks for the contribution.

4. JamesGreeson profile image73
    JamesGreesonposted 5 years ago

Bikers...

To get hung up on terminology for a second, because of the connotation or subtext it brings up.  Here in the US if you say "biker" you are likely to visualize someone on a Harley Davidson and wearing (brand new) black leather that is largely useless. Or a young guy on a shiny sportbike wearing either day glow leathers or next to nothing at all and going way too fast.

Somewhere in between you have people like me, "motorcyclists" who ride because we like to or it makes practical sense, not because it defines who we are.

I know what you mean but the term 'biker' here means simply someone who rides a motorbike.

5. profile image0
    Pamdoraposted 5 years ago

I rode back seat on Harleys for 30 years, another five with my husband on his Suzuki 1400 Intruder, but had to give it all up after my body would not longer handle it.

Still miss it every day, though.

What a shame!  Bet you had good fun though.  Thanks for the answer.

6. RileyMac profile image59
    RileyMacposted 5 years ago

I ride a pair of Honda's.  One is a 1988 Hawk GT, the other is a 2007 CBR600RR.  The hawk is my street bike and the cbr is my track bike.  I regularly ride my hawk to work unless the weather is poor.  I feel vulnerable but that's my favorite part, it brings you closer to the moment.

I can understand that.  Lucky you to have the two.  Happy biking!

working