My 98 Toyota camry won't go forward when in 1,2 and drive , fluid was low so add

1. Kim Remington profile image58
    Kim Remingtonposted 4 years ago

My 98 Toyota camry won't go forward when in 1,2 and drive , fluid was low so added to appropriate

Level,    My kid left lights in and battery needed jumped, it was in garage so my son forced gear shifter into neutral,   Is there any correlation?  Is it possible he broke shifter cable would this cause transmission issues?       Thank you.  Kim

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

Lights and battery should have no impact. Depending how hard it was forced into neutral might be a contributing factor in that the shift leaver is not making the proper contact.
    However, I am suspecting your bigger problem is that you possibly ran the car too long while the fluid level was too low or that you have a fluid leak that you have not detected. I am not a mechanic. The car is 15 years old. I do not think you want to put a lot of money into it. You can have it towed (by a tow truck, not pulled behind another car) and get an estimate. I think you are going to find it expensive.

3. 1kmjs profile image78
    1kmjsposted 4 years ago

I believe it has something to do with the torque controller within the transmission. It's pretty cheap to fix.

working