jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Would you own a self-driving car?

1. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 13 months ago

Would you own a self-driving car?

If money was no object? Do you trust other self driving cars that are on the road?  It's seems that if people get road hypnosis when actually driving then it is ridiculously ingenuous to expect people to "driver must keep their hands on the wheel in case of an emergency." - check out the video of  tesla-crash-video-texas  I mean really, nobody is  going to hold up arms without resting.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13430609_f260.jpg

2. profile image61
    peter565posted 13 months ago

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, you do know computers are still just machines and can have glitches, right? What if the computer got a glitch, what if something went wrong with the sensor, what if there is a software bug? Even a 3D printers, only carry out the instruction to print out stuff, already program by human. Despite modern missile defense system and fighter jets use computers, it is still only to assist the pilot or missile control, not take over. I rather rely on a human driver, then a machine, to drive my car.

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

With current technology, I say no - and I'm an engineer.
    * You can stop it with lidar and certain types of mobile obstacles. Look at car jackings in the developing world involving people dressed as police or fake pleas for help or simple violence brought increasingly to the developed world by immigrants and copycats, and I would be afraid of that happening to me in an expensive self-driving car.
    * When you have protestors increasingly blocking roads and attacking the people inside (see the Charles Murray protest that led to protestors surrounding the car he was in and assaulting a female professor to the point she was hospitalized) or seen the historical footage of the Rodney King rioters pulling people from stopped cars with a willingness to kill, you realize the self driving car is a death trap. You may not be able to take over from the computer and drive around the crowd, or even over people wielding bats and bricks and a desire to use them.
    * The self driving cars have algorithms that attempt to minimize harm, but that doesn't include harm to YOU. When the car is willing to let you die for the greater good, I'd rather make the decisions to maximize my own life.
    * I don't drive drunk (or drink alcohol at all), so that is not a selling point to me. Pushing self-driving cars in an effort to solve that problem doesn't curtail the addictive behaviors that have other, negative effects on society.

1. ptosis profile image72
      ptosisposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Great answer. Never even thought of that. I was just thinking in terms of actual driving.

working