Why do non-Ford trucks rust so much?

1. tritrain profile image84
    tritrainposted 3 months ago

Why do non-Ford trucks rust so much?

I'm looking at a used (maybe 7+ years) truck and Chevy, GMC, and Dodge and noticed that almost every one is rusting.  The Fords rarely have rust.

I live in a salt-the-roads kind of state.

2. wheelinallover profile image79
    wheelinalloverposted 3 months ago

It is my belief it depends on the year. The new Ford pickups won't see much rust as they are made of aluminum. This is the body and pickup box, the rest is still steel.

As for the other brands I have had 20 year old Chevy's which had barely any rust. A friend had a '62 Dodge which had no rust at all. It all depends on for what the truck is used. My friend left his Dodge in the garage all winter.

3. WheelScene profile image90
    WheelSceneposted 3 months ago

I don't think one specific truck from the 2009-2011 era rusts more than any other. I have heard of Japanese trucks rusting fast because of our harsh winter and salt roads but I think the trucks you are seeing have been maintained poorly.

Rust proofing can help, as well as washing all that salt off the bottom of your truck. Making sure water isn't sitting in the door jams and your weather stripping is in good shape will help also.

Sometimes rust can be an easy fix too! Our article here: https://wheelscene.com/how-to-fix-rust-on-a-car/ talks about rust. Maybe you will save some money and have a weekend project!

Good luck.

working