jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

What exactly are Glass Packs?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 6 years ago

I've googled and after four or five articles I've lost all hope of ever understanding.

So basically, if a 17 year old boy wants to modify a hoopty with glass packs, should I be concerned?

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It all sound OK!

Language may be different where you are, but I imagine he wants to repair or modify an old bomb car with fibreglass. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image92
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Here in America Glass Packs used to refer to mufflers using fiberglass packed around a perforated tube.  These mufflers, shaped with rounded bullet shaped ends, had a rather mellow sound when the car was cruising but roared when the engine was revved!

ETA-They were straight through mufflers with very little back pressure, which was very important to us "old time drag racers."

2. MelissaBarrett profile image60

So he wants to make it loud?  Okay.  Anything dangerous about it?  Is it legal?  Thanks guys btw!

1. platinumOwl4 profile image39
      platinumOwl4posted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, he will not experience any physical harm.  The next time you are near a 5.0 mustang listen to the sound, the sound of glass pack mufflers are similar.

3. majinmunkey profile image61
    majinmunkeyposted 6 years ago

Glass packs on a 4-6 cylinder sound awkwardly reminiscent of a boat motor barely digging into the water.

Now on a V8 glass packs just sound NASTY! I mean that in a somewhat good way...It all depends.

As mentioned, glass packs are notorious for having a nice purr at idle and then unleashing audible mayhem past 2K rpms...but what separates glass packs from flowmasters, borlas, etc...is the sound control. Glass packs tend to have a twitchy, sloppy sound which can really turn a person off but some people( such as a teenage boy) enjoy the obnoxious noise regardless.

Glass packs are illegal in my area...as are most loud exhaust systems. Check with your local law enforcement.

1. Randy Godwin profile image92

Not to mention, the older glass packs get the more the fiberglass packing deteriorates, increasing the volume of noise allowed to escape the exhaust.

I'm not sure they are still legal here in Georgia either.  They do suck on anything less than a V-8 engine, but then, I am from the old school of building and racing hot rods.  smile

4. MelissaBarrett profile image60

Never checked on the legality, it honestly never occurred to me.

LMAO, its a four cylinder- taurus to be exact and we have decided that unless he wants his curfew to be before his sister's bedtime OR he wants to be the one to watch her when she wakes up that he will forgo the glass packs.  Now he wants a racing carborator (spelling but I'm too tired to care) put in it.

1. Randy Godwin profile image92

Buy him a dirt track race car instead.  It's a lot safer than driving on the highway now that most women have cell phones.  lol

working