Attractions and Business at the Chippewa Reservation in Central Michigan
Historic Lands and People in Central Michigan
Central Michigan, home to Saginaw, is a large area that supports part of the Ojibwe-Chippewa Indian Tribe that is one of our largest Native North American Nations.
The larger parent group is the largest native nation in Canada and ranks fourth in size in America. The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe is the Michigan group's legal name with the U.S. Federal Government.
A large Pow Wow is sponsored by the Chippewa Reservation in Isabella County every year during the first full weekend in August. The dancing and drumming contests for men, women, and youth are incredible.
A large native reservation sits in this part of Michigan and the Native Americans operate Soaring Eagle Resort there, as well as community classes on such subjects as canning and other preservation of foods. The reservation is in Isabella County, about 50 miles west of Bay City and Saginaw.
North of Bay City in Bay County, the nation holds property on the Saganing Reservation in Standish. This is an area of natural sights like primitive beaches on Lake Huron and of a cluster of local cheese manufacturers and shops, including one that sells the well known Pinconning Cheese.
An interesting segment of Route 13 in Pinconning includes a well appointed branch of the Bay County Library, a city/county bus stop right outside, and a short path over to the beach and lake. Saganing resort is just a bit north. It is all a great place for a relaxing visit.
Colleges and Local Sports
- Central Michigan University: Central Michigan Chippewas sports teams
- Saginaw Chippewa Tribal College: 2274 Enterprise Dr, Mt Pleasant, MI 48858. Located Soaring Eagle Casino Resort Hotel
- Alma College - founded by Presbyterian Synod of Michigan
- The Heartland Institute of Technology
- Michigan Technical Education Center, M-TEC
- Montcalm Community College - Ionia Branch
- Mount Pleasant Meadows - Horse Track
- Mount Pleasant Speedway
Other Sports Venues
- Regional Soaring Championships: Glider event in Ionia County
- Ionia County Fair: Largest America Fair free-of-charge
- Mount Pleasant Civil War Events
The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe enjoys a large presence in Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan and includes four smaller native bands. These bands include the peoples of the
- Black River
- Swan Creek Ojibwe
Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort is located in Mt. Pleasant with the Isabella Reservation and the grounds of the resort are large enough that a shuttle bus is required to transport visitors to and from the parking lots.
My visits to the casino have been interesting and I have found the visitors and staff friendly. Internationally well known entertainers play the resort weekly, such as famous singers who have performed long-term in Las Vegas.
- This Chippewa Nation is Isabella County's largest employer, providing more than $64,000,000 to state and federal services income every year. The nation also provides part or all of Isabella County with police & fire protection, an array of social and health services, housing, and effective economic development initiatives to boost the local economy.
The Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture & Lifeways is a business comprising another part of the Saginaw Chippewa Nation economic contribution. The also nation helps sponsor the annual Michigan Indian Family Olympics.
The nation supports alternative energy in Central Michigan through wind & solar power and "clean coal" processes.
The SagChip nation's Job Hotline is 989-775-0062.
The Casino Resort Jobs are available at the hotline, where the listings included several pages of open positions.
- Central Michigan University is the second largest employer in the county, followed by
- Central Michigan Community Hospital, and
- Mt. Pleasant Public Schools
Telling Our Story at the Ziibiwing Center
This country's economy is growing faster than then other four in Central Michigan.
- The largest industrial employer in this county is agriculture in the Potato Industry, helping to make the U.S. the #3 potato grower in the world, following behind Russia and Poland. Michigan white potatoes are well known across the nation, although they originated in South America in the Andes Mountains among Aymaya and Inca indigenes.
- United Solar Ovonic, a manufacturer of solar panels, located in Auburn Hills added 200 job openings and plans to add more through 2016.
- Spectrum Health United Memorial (Health)
- Carson City Correctional Facility (Government)
- Greenville Public Schools (Government/Education)
Michigan potatoes are an Irish/UK type of spud.
Recipe: Paul McCartney's Mashed Potatoes
Slogan: Great Things in the Palm of Your Hand.
The largest sector of employed workers come form Education and Social Services. The largest county employers are;
- Gratiot Medical Center - United Michigan Health (Hospitals)
- Michigan Correctional Facility (Government)
- Alma College (Education)
- Alma Products - OEM motor vehicle parts, accessories & rebuilding
- Pain Management Network Hospitals
- In addition, St. Louis Michigan the geographic center of the lower, mitten portion of the state, has invested in revitalizing its downtown area for new business, new jobs, and an increase in tourism and hospitality dollars. The town is active in Alternative Energy, creating the Great Lakes Energy Research Park on the site of the old Total Petroleum company in nearby Alma. It replaces an oil refinery with a multi-billion dollar clean coal facility and others.
- Meridian Automotive Systems (Mfg)
- Ionia Public Schools & Lakewood Public Schools
- Ionia County Memorial Hospital
- Brown Corporation of Ionia - Automotive stampings
- Agriculture also contributes substantially to this county's economy with its 200,000 acres of crops producing land. Ionia is home to several successful egg and poultry farms and frozen food plants.
Job Growth in Central Michigan
Job growth is forecasted at approximately a 7% increase annually sustained in the four counties of Gratiot, Ionia, Isabella, and Montcalm.
Of the four counties, Montcalm has offered a greatest number of job openings over the other three and has reduced its unemployment rate the furthest. However, Isabella County contributes a large chunk of revenue to county, state, and federal services via Native American businesses.
Top 10 Hot Jobs With Highest Expected Growth to 2025
- Education/Training & Library: Over 1000 jobs/year. However, the Trucking Industry has already surpassed this mark during the first half of 2015.
- Healthcare: Registered Nurses (RNs), including Nurse Practitioners
- Home Health Aides (HHAs), Nursing Aides and Attendants
- Medical Assistants
- College-Level Health Specialties Teachers
- Sales: Salespeople, counter/sales clerks, CSRs, sales supervisors - 1000 jobs
- Management fields, primarily General managers, Food Service managers, and Operations managers in a number of industry sectors
- All lines of Food Prep and Serving
- Janitors, Landscape Techs/Helpers, and Groundskeepers
- Personal Care and Related Service Occupations
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS