- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches
Attractions In Atlanta, Georgia Suburbs
Fast Growing Occupations
Singers and Musicians make up the single fastest-growing occupational group in Georgia for the next several years, according to federal, state, and local mployment trending statistics. Choreographers are expected to find large increase in job openings as well in the entertainment industry.
In Healthcare, Home Health Aides (HHAs) are finding increased employment opportunities.
However, after singers and musicians, Information Technology occupations are offering the most opportunity to Georgia workers, followed by several more Healthcare related careers. Rising to the top of high demand health careers in jobs listings in 2008 - 2010, are those of Physical and Occupational Therapists and their assistants.
Georgia is also moving in the direction of nanotechnology and biotechnology, thereby combining careers in Healthcare and IT, as well as connecting with Engineering.
Education costs for all these occupations may be increasing -- Interestingly, an increasing proportion of education statewide is trending toward privatization. for instance, at UGA in 1998, 45% or nearly half of the budget was state funded, while a decade later in 2008, state funding lowered to around only 30%. Education overall may be becoming more expensive in Georgia, while numbers of jobs are increasing statewide and predicted to continue to do so through 2014 and 2016.
Statewide City Reviews
Reviews of major metro areas in Georgia, with job projections and trends are located at:
Best Georgia Cities
- The Chicken Whisperer's Home, Alpharetta GA - Attractions and Jobs
Alpharetta, Georgia has been the fastest growing city in the state since 2009. It is also the home of the Chicken Whisperer and his radio show.
- 15 Hot Jobs in Fast Growing Atlanta Suburbs
Roswell and Sandy Springs are among the top 10 largest cities around Atlanta and are expanding.
- Top 10 Best Hot Jobs in Atlanta - Hotlanta, the Capital
The Metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia Area is one of the most economically healthy and fast-growing cities throughout the American South and the nation. In fact, the city is nicknamed Hotlanta...
Employment Projections 2008 - 2018
Largest Numbers of Jobs Annually, Projected by US and State Governments
- Salespeople and Cashiers
- Combined Food Prep and Service
- Customer Service Representatives
- Registered Nurses (licensed RNs) - This included Nurse Practitioners who also act as Physician Assistants
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers
- Office Clerks
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- General and Operations Managers
- Sales Representatives
- Management Analysts
Additional Large Numbers of Jobs
- Child Care Workers
- Truck Drivers, CDL -- By 2015, over 900,000 truck driving jobs were advertised in the USA, with additional jobs opening every month. This job classification is outperforming all others in 2015.
- Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- First-Line Supervisors - Retail
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers
- Teacher Assistants
- Stock Clerks
- Nurse's Aides
The projections above indicate teachers for children K-12 will be in higher demand than previously, because the Atlanta Suburbs are growing in population with families that are producing new children.
Georgia Colleges, Universities and Technical Schools
Georgia suburbs have schools too numerous to list on a single HubPage; however, I found a link that provides access to the home pages of at least 100 institutions of higher learning in Georgia. That link is located below. Here, I will highlight the top three largest post secondary schools in Georgia.
Top Three Colleges and Universities in Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA) is the largest university in the state, with over 32,000 students enrolled. It is located in Athens, Georgia, about 70 miles northeast of Atlanta. UGA was actually the first state-chartered university in America, under a Public Land Grant and a Sea Grant as well.
- Home Page: http://www.uga.edu/
- Georgia Bulldogs Athletics: http://www.georgiadogs.com/
- UGA Alumni Association: http://www.alumni.uga.edu/alumni/
The University overall encompasses 16 colleges and includes a large public health complex and the Eugene P. Odum School of Ecology, important to the environment and sustainability.
UGA also hosts a Research Center that covers ataggering 140,000 square feet for use by 300 research scientists, staff, and associated graduate students. it is named the Coverdell Center and houses all of:
- The Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases (CTEGD),
- Developmental Biology,
- Bio-Imaging Research,
- Health and Risk Communications,
- Admin for the College of Public Health and Biomedical Health Sciences Institute, and
- Department of Health Administration, Biostatistics and Epidemiology.
- Assocated with this Research Center, UGA hosts a College of Veterinary Medicine and a College of Pharmacy as well.
Living at Franklin College is Unique
Another interesting school at UGA is the Franklin Residential College. It is patterned after Oxford and Cambridge and is an active and effective partnership among the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the University Housing office, and the Vice President of Instruction. This college combines educational and social activities to include all of the teaching faculty, related staff, and students living and dining together in a living-learning community.
Other US colleges are making a change to the residential model and finding good results. The Ohio State University is also moving toward that end under the presidency of Gordon Gee and is creating excitement and positive support in doing so.
As par tof the Franklin educational plan are annual study at and research trips to Costa Rica and a wide variety of social events. The following links provide additional information:
Georgia State University
Georgia State University in Atlanta is the second largest post secondary school in the state, with 27000 students in 6 colleges and a graduate school.
- GSU Home Page: http://www.gsu.edu/about.html
- GSU Alumni Association: Alumni
Local community colleges are also excellent choices for higher education.
Georgia Perimeter College, with over 21,000 students is one of America's fastest-growing metropolitan community, or two-year, colleges. PC is the third largest institution of higher learning in Georgia, located on several campuses in north and east Atlanta. The school's botanical garden is a learning laboratory and grand attraction for visitors.
- Home Page: http://www.gpc.edu/
- GPC Botanical Garden is an interesting attraction on campus.
More Georgia Schools and Training Programs
© 2007 Patty Inglish