- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches
Rockville, Maryland Suburbs for Travel and Work
Cabin John Creek near Rockville
Historical Overview of a Rising City
Rockville, Maryland was named as the 31st Best Place to Live in the USA by CNNMoney.com in the second decade of the 21st century and it is steadily improving within the Top 100 best places.
Full of National Historic Landmarks and fun tourist attractions that are also educational, Rockville began as a single popular tavern built beside heavily traveled horse and wagon trails in Colonial History. Those, of coursed, had already followed the trails and paths forged by Native Americans of the Eastern Woodlands.
The American Railroads brought industrialism and commercial success to Maryland as they followed along the old horse and wagon trails, which in turn had followed old Native American pathways.
Rockville, Northwest Of Washington DC
Rockville Town Center Mall
Rockville Arts and Culture
Rockville has a planned emphasis on the fine and performance arts and other cultural attraction, as have many of the other suburbs in the Washington DC Metro Area.
Dozens of groups, events, and special programs involve the people of Rockville in music, humanities, public art spaces, galleries, concerts, festivals, classes and a newsletter that ties them all together.
The city asked for grant proposals to enhance the arts and culture of Rockville even more in the 2010s, including development in the National Historic Districts of the city.
A particularly good attraction is the Glenview Mansion Art Gallery at Rockville Civic Center Park. It holds juried art shows in several artistic media several times a year and offers musical entertainment such as classical music ensembles.
Rockville MD B&O Station
As of the 2010 US Census, Rockville is the 5th largest city in Maryland, located as the county seat of Montgomery County.
Just 12 miles northwest of Washington DC, it has access to jobs in the Greater DC Area. A large part of the Highway I-270 Corridor is within Rockville city limits. providing access to increasing business, retail, and tourist attractions via a nuber of transportation options. In 2010, its placement as #31 among 100 Best Places to Live in America had risen from Number 66 in 2008.
One reason for Rockville's quick rise in the Best 100 Cities list is the construction and development of its Town Center complex and continued maintenance and preservation of many local National Historic Places on the US Registry. The Downtown Historic District is much larger than the downtown areas of several other cities in America.
The Town Center provides many shopping and business outlets, along with restaurants, cafes, and entertainment venues. Rockville is also known for its support and development of the fine arts and performance arts that include a civic ballet, a youth orchestra, art shows, concerts, and numerous special events. Another reason for success is the concentrated effort to promote better transportation options, as noted below.
National Historic Site: Lauren Depot
I-270/US 15 Multi-Modal Corridor Study
The I-270/US 15 Multi-Modal Corridor Study is underway to make transportation easier and faster for Maryland residents, business visitors, and vacationers. Results are believed to increase the growth potential of already growing suburbs in order to make quick access to work and business even more effective.
The study includes all of Frederick and Montgomery Counties and aims to decongest the busy 30-mile stretch of I-270 between US 15/Biggs Ford Road, all the way to the Shady Grove Metro Station. This congestion is an obstacle to growth, which must be remedied. Bus rapid transit routes and light rail are being considered for advancement in this Corridor Cities Transitway.
I-270/US 15 Multi-Modal Corridor Study
A Lock on the Chesapeake and Ohio CanalClick thumbnail to view full-size
Attractions Near Rockville
- Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historic Park - Near Reston VA, offering mule-draw boat rides and hike/bike trails. Re-enactors portray daily life in canal towns from after the Revolution through the American Civil War and early industrialization, when the boats competed with the American Railroad for passengers.
- Congressional Acquarium - Open since 1965 with at least 25 types of live-bearing fish like guppies and Snow-White Mickey Mouse Moons. Rarer types include Zebra Plecos and Electric Blue Jack Dempseys. A 400-gallon salt water tank is profoundly teeming with life, including octopi.
- Islands of the Potomac Wildlife Management Area - Located 10 miles west of the city, the islands are accessible only by private canoe for birding and wildlife observation.
- Latvian Museum - 400 Hurley Avenue; Rockville, MD 20850-3121
- The Native American Library And Museum Project - 1204 Simmons Dr, Rockville, MD 20851-2143.
- Strathmore Music and Performance
B and Bs Near Rockville
- B and Bs near Rockville
Rockville, Maryland Bed and Breakfast and Inns directory. Wide selection Rockville B&Bs to choose from.
Federal Employment Projections to 2018
Employment projections estimate that increases int eh following jobs will occur throughout the 10 years from 2008 - 2018:
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Current high demand job.
- Waitstaff: Waiters and Waitresses
- Personal Care and Service Workers
- Nursing/Psychiatric/Home Health Aides
- Financial Clerks
- Computer Systems Analysts - Current high demand job.
- Computer Software Engineers - Current high demand job.
- Office and Administrative Support
- Customer Service Representatives
- Construction Managers
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts - Current high demand job.
- Health Technologists and Technicians
- Accountants and Auditors
- Sales Representatives for Services
Companies Consistently Hiring and Maintaining Largest Employee Pools
- Federal Government and County Offices
- Montgomery County Public Schools
- Lockheed Martin - NASA Commercial Crew
- CACI - NASA Commercial Crew
- Barr-Nunn Transportation - Trucking
- Booz Allen Hamilton- NASA Commercial Crew
- Montgomery College
- Harris Teeter and Safeway Grocery Stores
- Quest Software
- BAE Systems - NASA Commercial Crew
- General Dynamics - IT
- Adventist HealthCare
Top 10 Hiring Employers for Rockville (25-mile radius)
- General Dynamics
- Federal Government Jobs/USAJOBS
- Inova Health System
- Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- CACI International
- HP - Hewlett Packard
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
- Registered Nurses (RNs) and Nurse Managers - many more nursing jobs are accessible easily to Rockville than are located closer to Gaithersburg. The proximity of Johns Hopikns and other hosptials account for this.
- Software Engineers
- IT Systems Engineers
- Project Managers
- Network Engineers
- Physical Therapists
- Java Developers
- Administrative Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Program Managers
Local Colleges, Universities, and Tech Schools
- Columbia Union College
- Johns Hopkins University
- Long and Foster Institute of Real Estate - Online Real Estate School
- Montgomery College Rockville Campus
- Strayer University
- University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute Center of Marine Studies
- University of Phoenix in Rockville
- Universities at Shady Grove
Rockville Area Hospitals
- Adventist HealthCare - Acute, Specialty, and Long Term Health Care - Rockville, Maryland - Adventist
Adventist HealthCare is a non-profit network of healthcare providers that includes hospitals, home health agencies, nursing centers, and other healthcare services.
- Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services in Maryland - Adventist Behavioral Health
- Johns Hopkins Medicine, based in Baltimore, Maryland
The homepage for Johns Hopkins Medicine. The organization brings together the faculty, physicians, and scientists of the School of Medicine with professionals of the Johns Hopkins Health System.
- Johns Hopkins University
The web site of The Johns Hopkins University, a world-class university in Baltimore, Maryland, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Shady Grove Adventist Hospital - Rockville, Maryland - Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, a not-for-profit hospital located in Rockville, MD, combines patient-focused healthcare and advanced technology close to home while offering Montgomery County Marylands first pediatric emergency room and inpatient uni
- Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Md.
Community-owned hospital in Bethesda, MD serving Montgomery County for over 60 years. Now a part of Johns Hopkins.
- The Nation's Children's Hospital: Children's National Medical Center
Children's National Medical Center is a pediatric hospital in Washington, DC which is a leader in developing innovative new treatments for childhood illness and injury. Children's has been serving the nation's children for over 140 years.
© 2010 Patty Inglish