Louisiana Jobs and Resources On the Gulf of Mexico
Houma Metro Region
The Houma Metro Area includes three parishes (like counties), which are Plaquemines (a part of the New Orleans Metropolitan Area); Lafourche; and Terrebonne Parishes; and some sources include Assumption Parish in the metro area.
Located between Baton Rouge and New Orleans Metro Areas, Houma is near the southeastern-most tip of Louisiana. The city suffered some damage from Hurricane Katrina. Economic growth has been steady, however, and several major metro industries need a considerable number of workers to fill new jobs being created.
The largest employers in this region of Louisiana include:
Terrebonne Parish (Top 5):
- Terrebonne Parish Public School District
- Gulf Island Fabrication - Frabricates parts for on- and offshore rigs.
- Pride Offshore - Offshore operations.
- Terrebonne General Medical Center & Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center
- Catholic Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux
Lafourche Parish (Top 5):
- Edison Chouest Offshore - worldwide offshore and vessel services.
- Rouses Supermarkets - Bought out A & P and Sav-a-Center
- Lafourche Parish School Board, Bollinger Shipyards, Grand Isle Shipyards
Plaquemines Parish (Top 5):
- Plaquemuines Parish School Board
- BJ Services Co., A R T Catering, Conoco Phillips Co., Chevron Oronite Co.
Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana
Largest Employers in the Smaller Related Parishes
St. Bernard (Top 5):
- St. Bernard Parish School Board, Associated Terminals,
- Winn Dixie Louisiana Inc., Mobil Oil Corporation, St. Bernard Parish Government
Jefferson (Top 5):
- Ochsner Health System, Jefferson Parish School Board,
- Northrop Grumman Ship Systems Avondale Operations,
- Jefferson Parish Gov't., East Jefferson General Hospital
St. Mary (Top 5):
Houma, Louisiana On the Gulf of Mexico
Easy Online Job Search for Houma
- Jobs in Houma Region of Louisiana
- Entry Level and Part-Time Jobs for Houma - Good starting point if you live around Houma or want to move and look for your next carer move.
- Regional Jobs - Houma - Gan access to other regions as well.
- Jobs in Houma Area Zip Codes - Jobs by Zip Code is a newer service that works.
Jobs Steady and Increasing 2013 - 2014Click thumbnail to view full-size
Top 10 Jobs in the Greater Houma Area
The fastest growing jobs in the Houma area through at least 2014 include those in Warehouse/Shipping, Trades (including Construction), and Information Technology (computers & software). Two out of the Top 10 Hot Jobs are computer-related, in the Number 3 and 4 slots. The Houma region sits on the Gulf of Mexico, presenting the possibility of further growth in shipping, warehousing, IT jobs to track those sorts of activities, additional construction in Hurricane-Katrina ravaged areas, and reconstruction of urban areas for green business in the "toe" and "foot" of the Louisiana boot.
- Logisticians - Warehousing and materials moving.
- Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Computer System Software Engineers (IT)
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts (IT)
- Helpers for Trades - Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Cost Estimators - Usually for construction and other Trades projects.
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Helpers in Carpentry Trades - Carpenters' Helpers
- Ship's Engineers - Freight, more than passengers; and in srhimping, crabbing, and fishing industry.
Additional Fast Growing Jobs
The fact that Compensation and Benefits Managers comprise a fast gorwing category of new jobs speaks to the fact that jobs overall are growing in the Houma region -- The more jobs, the more such managers are needed. Additional computer related jobs appear in two categories on this list as well.
Health and Medical professions show on this additional listing of growing jobs, as to Engingeering Technologies, PR and Marketing pros, and others.
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Compensation and Benefits Managers
- Computer Software Applications Engineers
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Health and Safety Engineers, Except Mining
- Industrial Engineering Technicians
- Market Research Analysts
- Public Relations Specialists
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
Higher Education in SE Louisiana
Sports in SE Louisiana
Egrets and Herons
- The Home Range of White Herons and Egrets - How and ...
Great Blue Herons and Great White Herons are closely related today. The Great White Egret has the largest home range - around the world - but was formerly called
Houma on Amazon
United Houma Nation
The United Houma Nation people live largely in LaFourche and Terrebonne Parishes, East and West Feliciana, and Pointe Coupee in Southern Louisiana (see map located above). Geographically, they are located just to the west of the mouth of the great Mississippi River in a scenic countryside but also near shipping and other industry.
The city of Houma is 100 miles north of the United Houma Nation homeland and is named specifically for this group of people -- Chukahoma means "red house." However, they are not yet Federally recognized as a US Native American Nation, but have pursued the application process for over 20 years as of 2008.
The Houma operate a store and organization to aide traditional and contemporary native artists to market and sell their works. This is The Palmetto Hut Store.
Brenda Dardar Robichaux is the United Houma Nation Principal Chief and a Tribal Council is regularly elected form the paraishes of St. Mary, Terrebonne, Jefferson, Lafourche, and Plaquemines and St. Bernard combined. The Nation is looking into additional business opportunities in the 21st century.