Business and Jobs in Historic Delaware
Employment Resources in Delaware
The state of Delaware offers numerous employment opportunities in the following fields of work, all of which are growing faster than expected:
- Air Flight and Airplane Mechanics and Crews,
- Information Technology (IT),
- Healthcare Industry,
- Travel and Tourism Industries,
- Personal Financial Advisors, and
- Skilled Workers,especially in Trades and Oil & Gas.
Frequently Needed Workers
Airplane Pilots and Crew,
Airplane Mechanics, and
Information Technology Engineers and Technicians
Top Micro-Cities for Business and Jobs
The city of Wilmington, Delaware is recognized in the Top 10 Micro-Cities in the North America. It is in a historic region among busy commerce and political centers. Wilmington is an excellent site for finding a job in
- Information Technology (IT),
- Healthcare Professions, and
- Retails Sales at all levels.
Capital of the state, founded in 1683 by William Penn.
Largest city in the state. Over half of the Fortune 500 companies call Wilmington their corporate home. First settled in 1638 by Swedish families.
State Bird: Blue Hen Chicken Was a Revolutionary War Emblem
Travel and Tourism in Delaware
Delaware For Visitors
- Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover Air Force Base
Where do old airplanes go? The lucky ones go to the Air Mobility Command Museum—the only museum dedicated to airlift and air refueling history!
- Diamond State Blues Society
Home of the annual Spring House Rockin’ Party and our Fall Blues Harvest.
- Diamond State Chorus - Home
The Diamond State Chorus, is a chapter of Sweet Adelines International, a singing organization of women committed to excellence in barbershop-style harmonies. We are dedicated to sharing and improving our talents and the barbershop music.
The Dairy Queen at Fenwick Island was opened in 1954 and remains a popular attraction, located near several Colonial mansions from the days of the Original Thirteen Colonies. Delaware became the first state in the United States of America on December 7, 1787.
- Dover International Speedway - Dover, Delaware. NASCAR events.
- Fenwick Island - This town includes approximately 400 residents in addition to vacation accommodations and many things to do. The community offers the southernmost beach in the state, with crabbing, fishing, swimming, and other outdoor sports.Its historic lighthouse was built in 1856. A State Park lies to the north and wildlife refuges sit to the northwest.
- First State National Monument - First National Park in Delaware, location in the Dover-Wilmington Area.
- Fort Delaware - Pea Patch Island.
Historic Lighthouse Area
Pea Patch Adventures
Fort Delaware, pictured below, is on Pea Patch Island. It is an attractive spot to visit during the spring and summer months. The state has a ferry to transport visitors to the historic fort from Delaware City.
Area of First National Monument and Park
Largest Companies in Delaware
- JPMorgan Chase - Banking and Investments
- Barclays - Financial Products and Investments
- Judge Group
- C.R. England - Trucking, Freight and Transport
- DuPont - Chemicals and new drugs
- Christiana Health Care
- University of Delaware - Education and Healthcare
- Yuma Medical Center - Education and Healthcare
- Astra Zeneca Pharma - Drug developers and manufacturers
- State Division of Aging and Adults
- General Motors - Automotive Industry
- Mountaire Farms
- Port of Wilmington
Job Titles in Highest Demand
- Project Manager
- Occupational Therapists
- Business Analyst
- Physicians - All Specialties
- Customer Service Representative
- Physical Therapists
- Salespeople and Product Demonstrators
- Internal Medicine - Physician
- Javas and .Net Developers
- Registered Nurses - RN License
- IT Engineers
- Truck Driver - CDL
- Electrical, Mechanical and Design Engineers
- Outside Sales Reps
- Electricians and Helpers
- Retail Managers
Job Titles Expected to Increase Openings to 2022
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Home Health Aides (HHAs) - See Patient Care Technician
- Trades and Extraction Supervisors - Especially in Oil & Gas
- Welders and Construction Trades
- Laboratory Technicians
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Food Service Jobs
- Nursing Assistants
Sustainable Energy Businesses
Green Business and Sustainable Energy
Delaware Energy is a company that offers employment opportunities in four major types of sustainable energy sources and production, including the following:
- Solar Water Heating
Renewable Energy Programs and Jobs
- U.S. Department of Energy
- US Department of Energy Million Solar Roofs Initiative
- US Department of Energy Hydropower Program
Additional Large Programs
- American Solar Energy Society
- American Wind Energy Association
- Biomass Resource Information Clearinghouse
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- National Hydropower Association at Energy.gov
- Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Pellet Fuels Institute
- Renewable Energy Policy Project
- Schools Going Solar
- Sustainable Buildings Industry Council
Academic and Sports Jobs
Colleges and Universities
- Delaware College of Art & Design: Wilmington
- Delaware State University: Dover
- Delaware Technical & Community College: Dover, Georgetown, Stanton/Wilmington
- Goldey-Beacom College: Wilmington
- University of Delaware: Newark -- Blue Hen Athletics
- Wesley College: Dover. Affiliated with the United Methodist Church
- Widener University: Wilmington, also Chester & Harrisburg Pennsylvania
- Wilmington College: New Castle
Opportunities in Sports
The following sites are gateways into sports and recreational activities that offer exciting career opportunities.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS