Business and Jobs in Historic Delaware, the First State
Employment Resources in Delaware
The state of Delaware offers numerous employment opportunities in the following fields of work, all of which are growing faster than expected:
- Air Flight and Airplane Mechanics and Crews,
- Information Technology (IT),
- Healthcare Industry,
- Travel and Tourism Industries,
- Personal Financial Advisors, and
- Skilled Workers,especially in Trades and Oil & Gas.
During the years 2018 - mid-2019, average daily job listings in Delaware topped over 12,000 openings aggregated by Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com.
Top Micro-Cities for Business and Jobs
The city of Wilmington, Delaware is recognized on the list the Top 10 Micro-Cities in the North America. It is in a historic region among busy commerce and political centers, all of which supports the creation of new jobs, especially among partnerships among private companies, educational institutions, and government agencies.
Wilmington is an excellent place for finding a job in
- Information Technology (IT),
- Healthcare Professions
- Retails Sales and Sales Supervisors
Travel and Tourism in Delaware
The Blue Hen Chicken was a Revolutionary War emblem, including at Fort Delaware.
Historical and Tourist Attractions
- Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover Air Force Base
Where do old airplanes go? The lucky ones go to the Air Mobility Command Museum—the only museum dedicated to airlift and air refueling history!
- Diamond State Blues Society
Home of the annual Spring House Rockin’ Party and our Fall Blues Harvest.
- Diamond State Chorus - Home
The Diamond State Chorus, is a chapter of Sweet Adelines International, a singing organization of women committed to excellence in barbershop-style harmonies. We are dedicated to sharing and improving our talents and the barbershop music.
The Dairy Queen at Fenwick Island was opened in 1954. It is still a popular attraction, located near several historic mansions from the days of the Original Thirteen Colonies. Delaware became the first state in the United States of America on December 7, 1787, declaring independence from England in July 1776.
- Dover International Speedway: Regularly held NASCAR events.
- Historic Lighthouse Area of Southern Delaware
- Fenwick Island: This town includes approximately 400 residents in addition to vacation accommodations and many things to do. The community offers the southernmost beach in the state, with crabbing, fishing, swimming, and other outdoor sports.Its historic lighthouse was built in 1856. A State Park lies to the north and wildlife refuges sit to the northwest.
- First State National Monument: This is in the First National Park located in the Dover-Wilmington Area. It was designated under the Barack Obama presidential administration.
- Fort Delaware: Pea Patch Island.
- Pea Patch Adventures: Fort Delaware on the island is an attractive spot to visit during the spring and summer months. The state has a ferry to transport visitors to the historic fort from Delaware City.
Largest Companies in Delaware
- JPMorgan Chase: Banking and Investments
- Barclays: This company specializes with banking apps for Android and Apple.
- Judge Group: Technologies, including remote innovative medical case reviews.
- Marriott Hotels
- C.R. England: Trucking, Freight and Transport
- DuPont : Chemicals and new drugs
- Christiana Health Care
- University of Delaware: Education and Healthcare
- Yuma Medical Center: Education and Healthcare
- Astra Zeneca Pharma: Drug developers and manufacturers
- General Motors: Automotive Industry
Job Titles for Largest Percentage Growth
- Health Sciences, including physical and occupational therapists, physicians in all specialties, Registered Nurses,
- Human Services jobs
- Information Technology, including business analysts, project managers, software engineers, and other.
- Finance and Investment
- Government and Public Administration
- Hospitality and Tourism
- STEM-related occupations.
Green Business and Sustainable Energy
Delaware Energy is a company that offers employment opportunities in four major types of sustainable energy sources and production, including the following:
- Solar Water Heating
Renewable Energy Programs and Jobs
- U.S. Department of Energy
- US Department of Energy Million Solar Roofs Initiative
- US Department of Energy Hydropower Program
Additional Large Programs
- American Solar Energy Society
- American Wind Energy Association
- Biomass Resource Information Clearinghouse
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- National Hydropower Association at Energy.gov
- Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Pellet Fuels Institute
- Renewable Energy Policy Project
- Schools Going Solar
- Sustainable Buildings Industry Council
Academic and Sports Jobs
Colleges and Universities
- Delaware College of Art & Design: Wilmington
- Delaware State University: Dover. US News and World Reports rates this as the second top school in the state for 2019.
- Delaware Technical & Community College: Dover, Georgetown, Stanton/Wilmington
- Goldey-Beacom College: Wilmington
- University of Delaware: Newark and Blue Hen Athletics. This school is rated Number One in the state by US News and World Reports in 2019 and Number 89 in America.
- Wesley College: Dover. Affiliated with the United Methodist Church
- Widener University: Wilmington, also Chester & Harrisburg Pennsylvania
- Wilmington College: New Castle
Opportunities in Sports
The following sites are gateways into sports and recreational activities that offer exciting career opportunities.
- Baywood Greens is a lush and beautiful golf course in Long Neck, Delaware that offers seasonal as well as full-time jobs.
- Delaware Park Raceway offers popular horse racing events in a large facility in Wilmington.
- Delaware State University Hornets in Dover, Delaware comprises men's and women's teams in a variety of sports. Paid positions and internships are available every year.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS