Best Jobs in Mid-Michigan at Lake Huron
MBS Market Area
The Sagninaw Metropolitan statistical and labor market area is popularly known as Midland-Bay City-Saginaw or the MBS Metro Area and the local airport is called the MBS Airport.
This market area covers the three Michigan counties of Saginaw, Bay, and Midland, all with beautiful scenery, historical sites that include the lumber barons' homes, State Recreation Areas, bird sanctuaries, Native American installations, local festivals, successful small businesses, and friendly people.
The larger market area around the Tri-Cities includes Bridgeport and Frankenmuth. These cities are within 30 minutes of Bay City and afford visitors with tourist attractions and special events. A large event center in Bridgeport grows more popular every year.
I travel to this area 5-6 times per year and enjoy the scenic views up through the lower peninsula along I-75 and further up around lake Huron on the Huron Lake Circle Tour that takes you completely around the that large Great Lake.
"Huron" means "The Sweet Sea" in Native American languages of the Ojibwa/Ojibwe/Chippewa people that settled in the Saginaw Bay area about 1,000 BC.
The Tri-County Area is a fun tourist area, boosting the economy through the Tourism, Accommodations, and Hospitality Industries. Other sectors of the economy that are relatively strong are Healthcare (the strongest) and Manufacturing, including food manufacturing of beet sugar in several plants.
Bay City Jobs
Top 15 Jobs By Percentage Increase
The following lists of job titles aer expanding in the 2017 - 2020 period:
- Medical & Physician's Assistants
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts - IT
- Life, Physical & Social Science Techs
- Employment, Recruitment & Placement Specialists
- Database Administrators - IT
- Physical Therapists & Physical Therapist Assistants
- Grounds Maintenance Workers
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters
- Special Education Teachers: Preschool, K, Elementary, and Middle School (Preschool though age approx. 12)
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Registered Nurses
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators - IT
- Training & Development Managers - all fields
- Physicians & Surgeons
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
Major Hiring Companies
- Dollar General and Family Dollar: Expanding quickly throughout the Midwest
- The Home Depot: Hardware, Home DIY
- SpartanNash: Groceries, retail, distribution, coffee shop crew, etc.
- Covenant HealthCare
- H&R Block
- Domino's Pizza
- McDonald's Franchisees
- Shell Oil
- Taco Bell Corporate Office and Stores
- Mid-Michigan Area Public Schools Consortium (59)
- CSL Behring: Manufacturing
Bay City Historic SitesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Bay City Job Openings
During early Spring 2017, the Bay City - Saginaw - Midland Metro Area advertised over 7,500 jobs. The leading high demand job titles in this area are:
- Sales Managers and Supervisors
- Retail Salespeople, especially in Dollar Stores
- Registered Nurses, including Nurse Practitioners; and LPNs
- Restaurant Managers and staff or crew
- Truck Drivers and related Jobs: Over 1,000 jobs advertised
- Physicians and Physcian Assistants: Over 1,000 jobs available.
- Dental Assistants
- Respiratory and Physical Therapists
- Lab Technicians
Center Avenue Historic District
Major Saginaw Employers
- Nexteer Automotive
- Powertrain/General Motors Corporation
- General Motors Corporation
- Michigan Sugar Company
- St. Mary's Medical Center
- Covenant HealthCare
- HealthSource Saginaw
- Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Inc. (about 10 minutes south of Saginaw)
- County of Saginaw: Government jobs.
Frankenmuth, 30 Miles Southeast of Bay City
Frankenmuth Downtown Development Company lists these firms as the major players in the city:
- Bavarian Inn Lodge & Restaurant
- Zehnder's of Frankenmuth
- Frankenmuth Insurance
- Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland
- Lutheran Homes of Michigan
- Frankenmuth School District
- Independence Village
- Tendercare Health Center
- St. Lorenz Elementary School
- Frankenmuth River Place
- Kroger Company
Frankenmuth, Michigan - Christmastown, USA
I visit Frankenmuth twice a year and am always impressed by the cleanliness of the city and the low crime rate. Located just 25 miles south of Bay City, it is close to I-75. The High School is adjoined to a major natural amphitheater in a valley and this was the location each June of the Oldies Palooza, featuring Rock N' Roll and Metal bands from the 60s and 70s. It was sponsored by WHNN-FM with Johnny Burke and Blondie.
Frankenmuth began as a German (Bavarian) settlement in 1845 to bring missionaries to the Chippewa Nation that had been so profuse in Michigan, especially around Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron. The original mission was scrapped and the Germans wrote home asking for more people to come to settle, and more Lutheran pastors to minster to the settlers.
The famous chicken eatery, Zehnder's Restaurant, stands on the site of the Exchange Hotel that was built in 1856, Zehnder's having purchased it in 1927. A large dining room covers the first floor and the lower level offers shops, a cafeteria, and a great bakery with reasonable prices.
The Frankenmuth Mutual Insurance Company started way back in 1868 after the Civil War and the city was finally incorporated in 1959. It now has a covered bridge, a boat tour, horse carriage rides, a flour mill, a doll factory, a golf course, a cheese factory, a Clam and Lobster Fest, a Lumberjack Festival, Christkindlmarkt (Christmas Market), and the annual Bavarian Festival.
Tour buses from all over North America and tours from as far away as Japan come to the Bronner's complex of facilities on a consistent basis.
Christmastown Ferry BoatClick thumbnail to view full-size
Not only does this city have a wide array of shops and restaurants, but also a wonderful, invitingly decorated public library with banks of computers and refreshments. At the edge of town is Bronner's Christmas Store that is open 362 days a year. It features not only Christmas goods, but holiday celebration materials for several holidays and additional faiths.
The parking lot is so big that shuttle buses are provided and the Christmas Light Display around its perimeter is free of charge, compared to $25 or more for some other holiday light shows in Michigan and Ohio.
A replica of the Silent Night Chapel in Bavaria sits at the edge of the lot and is open the same hours as the store. The carol Silent Night is posted in dozens of languages inside with the museum quality show pieces and chapel, and these translations include one in Navajo.
Next to Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland (since 1945, with over 200,000 sq. ft. of displays) is a Zehnder's hotel and Indoor Water Park and behind the Christmas Store on an adjoining road is a military & space museum and a petting zoo.
Bronner's Silent Night Chapel
Tri-Cities Mass Transportation
Saginaw/MBS International Airport
MBS International is located in Freeland, Michigan in the center among Midland, Saginaw, and Bay City, near Delta College.
MBS International Airport
Bay and Saginaw Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Bay County Buses
Bay City buses run throughout Bay County and offer discounted fares to senior citizens, students, and the ADA disabled populations. A dedicated bus service for older and ADA individuals is also available and some routes run to and from Arenac County for sheltered workshops and child care.
Saginaw County Bus System
STARS is the public transportation system around Urbanized Saginaw. It covers 1.5 million miles per year for over 3,300 people using its buses every day. People with ADA disability certification receive a 50% reduced fare.
Tri-Cities Largest Employers
Major Tri-City Employers
- Dow Chemical
- Mid-Michigan Medical Center
- Midland Public Schools
- Covenant HealthCare
- St. Mary's of Michigan Health
- Saginaw Public Schools
- General Motors Powertrain
- Bay Regional Medical Center
- Bay City Public Schools
- Dow Corning
- Delta College
- Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn
Local Colleges and Universities
- Northwood University
- Saginaw Valley State University: This school maintains a large art museum with interesting exhibits and admission is free.
- Delta College University Center - Largest student body in the Tri-County Area of Mid-Michigan. The associated planetarium is located in Downtown Bay City in the historic district.
- Davenport University: This is an excellent career college offering study plans for real employment. I have found the staff particularly courteous and helpful.
- University of Michigan@ Flint - Genesee County
- Kettering University - Genesee County
- Alma College - Gratiot County
© 2008 Patty Inglish