- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs
Work and Leisure in Minnesota - Home of Mall of America and Psychological Testing
IT, Healthcare, and Psychology are Hot in Minnesota
Minnesota offers many jobs in the fields of
- Information Technology and
- Medical - Healthcare, along with
- Wholesale/Retail Sales & Service. and
- Construction Trades - Management and Crew positions are increasing 2012 - 2022 in the Minneapolis - St. Paul area.
In addition, the first two industry sectors are often combined today in the medical and health career fields, especially in research, bioengineering, medical records -- even psychology, with online test administration, scoring, and counseling.
Minnesota is famous in the field of psychology through the research and accomplishments of "The Minnesota Group", which established a leading personality instrument, The MMPI: Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Widely used for decades, the instrument was updated for computer-based and Internet-based administration and is still a very useful assessment instrument today.
Major Minneapolis Area Attractions
Argosy University in Eagan MN
Training in psychology through the Doctoral Level and post-doc positions is available in the Twin-Cities areas near the Mall of America:
Argosy University - Twin Cities
- 1515 Central Parkway; Eagan, MN 55121
This school also offers extensive programs in undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate degrees in the disciplines of business, education, health sciences, and behavioral sciences (sociology, etc.) as well as psychology. It is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association.
Argosy University Programs
Argosy U: College of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences
This college combines expert curricula with the leading major theories and treatment best practices, including clinical assessment and intervention. Students receive practical training and internships are offered, as well as small classes for increases personal attention and the best practitioners in the field.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) -- Psychology
This degree is available only at the Argosy U Twin Cities branch. It is a four-year program is intended for students with clearly-defined career goals. These students prepare for immediate employment, career advancement, and graduate study. The program prepares people to become entry-level counselors, case managers, human resources administrators, and managers in social services business. The program allows students to prepare to qualify for credentialing in a number of US states other than Minnesota. An online study feature and accelerated learning supplement the program.
Master of Arts (MA) -- Clinical Psychology
This program teaches basic clinical skills for serving mental health needs of those with diverse backgrounds. The faculty is highly qualified for official board supervision of students. The program is a step in the doctorate degree program. In some states, holders of the MA in Clinical Psychology are eligible for licensure.
Master of Arts (MA) -- Marriage & Family Therapy
This program provides training and supervised clinical practice for licensure as a marriage and family therapist in Minnesota. Argosy University/Twin Cities offers students an additional concentration in forensic counseling within the program.
Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) -- Clinical Psychology
To prepare students this curriculum combines theory, training, research and practice, preparing students to work with diverse populations. Students who complete the are awarded the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) degree. The PsyD degree combines relevant research, applied theory, and field work. entering students need a bachelor's degree in any field, but should have psychology courses in their transcript.
Job Projections: High Pay and High Growth Through 2022
These occupations are set to increase by 17% to 25% in numbers of jobs available in the Minneapolis Market Area:
- Operating Engineers and Other Equipment Operators
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, and related positions
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades
- Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Physical Therapists
- Radiologic Technologists
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Construction Laborers
- Construction Managers
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - This is the Number One high demand job.
- Health Services Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Civil Engineers
Underwater Adventures at MOA - Recreation and Job Opportunities
Mall of America - Opportunities in the Largest US Mall
After a huge increase in jobs at MOA during Christmas and Holiday Season 2010, jobs declined until February 2011, when a new increase began to show in the curve of new jobs. In mid-April 2012, several hundred jobs were open at the Mall of America or adjacent hotels and other businesses.
By March 2015, the mall advertised approximately 500 job openings. Hotels, restaurants, and related companies around the mall advertised jobs as well, with a total of over 5,000 open job listings within five miles of the mall and amusement park complex in Bloomington MN, a southern suburb of Minneapolis.
Seven (7) Yankee Stadiums would fit inside the Mall of America
MOA Trivia & Info
- At least 520 stores are open for business in the Mall of America located in Bloomington MN. This includes an indoor amusement park with 30 rides and an underwater aquarium called Underwater Adventures.
- Many seasonal and permanent of jobs are available in and around the Mall of America.
- Volume-wise 258 Statues of Liberty could fit inside the Mall
- If Mount Rushmore was divided into 4 individual monuments, one mountain Presidential likeness could fit into each of the Mall's four courts
- The Mall of America is large anough to hold 32 Boeing 747 aircraft.
- Seven (7) Yankee Stadiums would fit inside the Mall of America
- There is no sales tax on clothing in Minnesota, making the Mall a good place to shop..
Mall of America - Legos
Jobs Demanding Most Workers
Advertised jobs increased in Minnesota from 75,000 jobs available in 2011 to over 85,700 jobs open in March 2015. Highest demand jobs include:
- CDL Truck Drivers - Salaried and Owner-Operators
- Dental Assistants
- IT Project Mangers
- Software Engineers
- MAYO CLINIC - Research Assistants, Patient Care Techs, Medical Technicians
- Physical Therapists, Assistants and Aides
- Registered Nurses - Licensed RNs
- Salespeople - Especially Mall of America
- Business Analysts
- Event Specialists
- Administrative Assistants
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Sales Representatives
- Web Developers
- Java Developers
- Physicians - Family Practice (GP), Internal Medicine, Hospitalists
Recreation and Jobs
- Fishing created 43,000 Minnesota jobs in 2011 and $2.8 Billion in retail spending.
Minnesota Universities, Colleges, and Tech Schools
Study IT programs or Medical and Health related careers, as well as other important areas at any of the seven state universities:
- Bemidji State University is listed in each edition of the "Making a Difference College Guide," a national document rating US top universities for academics and student support.
- Metropolitan State University meets the needs of residents in the metropolitan region. It is premier urban, public comprehensive system university in the Twin Cities.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato has nationally recognized undergraduate programs in engineering, education, IT/CIS, nursing, business, law enforcement, theater, and speech.
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead is part of the Tri-College University. Enrolled students take courses at North Dakota State University and Concordia College without paying any extra tuition.
- St. Cloud State University is one of the most highly accredited undergraduate universities in the Upper Midwest. It has 20 nationally accredited programs in areas like education, business, chemistry, and communication disorders [very cutting edge]..
- Southwest Minnesota State University, Marshall was named by U.S. News and World Report as the top regional, public, liberal arts college in the Midwest every year, 1998 - 2004.
- Winona State University was named in America's 100 Best College Buys for quality and value for the past eight consecutive years.
In addition, University of Minnesota offers Associate Segrees, Bachelor's Degrees in 70 majors, a Graduate and Professional Degree, Master's Degrees in 18 different fields, including from the School of Medicine, and the Ph.D.
Over 60 Public and Community Schools, such as 2-year colleges and tech schools are easily found at this link: http://www.iseek.org/sv/Schools?typ=a&instType=CT&Prog=np&locSet=T&programSet=T&typeSet=T&outId=25110
Search www.Iseek.com for additional Minnesta schools in these large categories:
- A total of at least 35 public universities
- Private colleges and universities
- Private vocational and technology schools
- Private professional and graduate schools
© 2007 Patty Inglish