- Business and Employment»
- Business & Society
Outsourced Jobs Return to USA, Aerospace and Oil Expand 2012 - 2022
Real Change 2012 - 2022
Ohio may not have a passenger train system in the 2010s, but Governor John Kasich and the businesses of the state are bringing back jobs that were outsourced prior to 2010.
Another priority is the growing of the oil, natural gas, and aerospace sectors of Ohio Industry. With these growth areas comes additional increase in Information Technology (IT) jobs as well and according to some news sources, Cloud Computing is one of the next big sectors to demand trained workers.
In addition, discrepancies, poor data, and questionable academic results among K-12 schools in the Buckeye State are being handled swiftly with corrections and warranted personnel changes. Effective education for equipping Ohio youth to handle new jobs in the near furture is of utmost importance. The 2012 discovery, then, that school personnel were dis-enrolling and re-enrolling students in ways that bypassed Standardized Testing failure (low score) accumulations was met head on for the good of students and ultimately, business. School Year 2012 - 2013 was to be free of these machinations.
The information below describes the industrial growth areas of the State of Ohio, with a discussion of 500 returning jobs at the end of this Hub.
Ohio Space Corridor
Columbus, Ohio in the representation below is not an official part of the Ohio Space Corridor, although it may become such in the 2010s. Columbus is home to several facilities that are involved in the Aerospace Industry and related Information Technology (IT), related electrical component manufacture, related research projects, as well as others. Professor/Senator/Colonel John Glenn, former astronaut, maintains an office and class schedule at The Ohio State University in Columbus.
Many aerospace companies in the state are located outside of the Ohio Space Corridor as well (see list below).
Top Ohio Aerospace Manufacturers
- 3455 Cross Road, Winchester OH
Aeronautical and Astronautical Research Laboratories
- 2300 West Case Road, Columbus OH 43235
- A division of The Ohio State University
- Dayton, Ohio
Aerospace Research Systems
- 905 Ohio Pike, Cincinnati OH 45245
- 9826 Crescent Park Drive, West Chester OH
Battelle Memorial Institute
- 506 King Avenue, Columbus OH 43201
- Located across King Ave. from The Ohio State University
BF Goodrich Aerospace
- 1555 Corporate Woods Parkway, Uniontown OH
- BF Goodrich began as a well known maker of tires.
- 7370 Alan Schwarzwalder Street, Columbus OH
Cincinnati Control Dynamics
- 4924 Para Drive, Cincinnati OH 45237
- 8400 Mayfield Road # 1, Chesterland OH 44026
- 4027 Colonel Glenn Highway, Beavercreek OH 45431
Lockheed Information Management
- 2222 Dividend Drive, Columbus OH
- Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton, Springfield
Noir Aircraft Services Inc.
- 16401 Miles Avenue, Cleveland OH 44128
- Cleveland, Ohio
Pallas Systems LLC
- P.O. Box 27, Springfield OH 45501
- Fairborn, Lima
Snow Aviation International
- 7201 Paul Tibbets Street # 330, Columbus OH 43217
- Paul Tibbets piloted the Enola Gay, which bombed Hiroshima. He retired and died in Columbus.
- 7735 Ragall Parkway, Cleveland OH 44130
- Dayton, Ohio
Wolfden Carbon Fiber Solutions, Inc.
- 3991 Fondorf Drive Columbus, Ohio 43228
Recovery and Moving Forward
Famous basket company brings 500 pottery jobs back to Ohio from overseas. Pottery in the eastern half of Ohio was a traditional industry 1600s -2000.
Near the northern terminus of the Ohio Space Corridor
Southern terminus of the Ohio Space Corridor
Center of state region developing oil and natural gas resources in the 2010s. Also a center of pottery factories up through the mid-20th Century.
NASA Commercial Crew - Private Industry
Information On Ohio Recovery and Job Increases
- $3.25 Billion for Jobs In Eastern Ohio
New jobs for 2012 in Oil and Natural Gas and the industries needed to support them began opening along routes I-77 and I-70 in Ohio, to be boosted by yet another 500 jobs that had been sent out to China previously...
- Economic Recovery in Manufacturing and Insurance: NE Ohio
The formerly destitute Northeastern Ohio is in the spotlight for small towns that are great places to live and work. Solon, Highland Heights, and Twinsburg caught the eye of economic analysts...
- Top 10 Hot New Jobs in Southern and Southeastern Ohio: Infrastructure...
At last, the most jobs-starved quadrant in Ohio, the Southeast, gained recognition and new jobs creation, 2011 - 2013.
- NASA's Partnerships with the Private Sector and the ...
NASA took a proactive lead in partnerships with the private sector for space exploration and businesses long before the final US Space Shuttle launch in 2011. With loss of govt. funding, NASA could go private!
500 Jobs Return
Made In America
Ohio Manufacturing Boost
The Longaberger company often holds it conventions in Columbus, Ohio and we hear about specific sales awards given via the local News Radio broadcasts. On Friday 08/03/12, the leadership announced sales records for the year and were happy about the expansion of their customer base in home furnishings and related retail. They also announced the return of 500 jobs to Ohio that had previously been outsourced overseas. This is a boot to Ohio manufacturing that adds to new jobs already emerging in aerospace components and automotive parts and components.
As thrilling as the jobs announcement sounded, the process of bringing back lost jobs would be delayed somewhat by the need to install new pottery kilns at Longaberger. You see, they'd never had kilns before, relying on other companies for pottery to sell. However, the 500 jobs to come to Ohio outnumber the company's 2009 layoffs by 200 positions. The prospect of more jobs and Ohio-made pottery enhanced the company's Made In America image. This is expressly gratifying, given the history of pottery making in Eastern Ohio.
Natural gas is becoming less expensive in Ohio in the early 2010s, so gas-powered kilns in Dresden are a cost-saving idea. As a reference, Columbia Gas announced that monthly Budget Gas account averages would reduce by $9.00/month for the 2012 - 2013 heating season. At the same time, Longaberger leaders heard reports of government mandated wage increases in China that would cut company profits if their pottery manufacturing jobs were kept in that country. It makes sense in several ways to return to Ohio.
Job outsourcing for pottery items was done by Ohio pottery manufacturers from whom Longaberger bought products; the pottery manufacturing in Dresden will be new. Related to that, customers will likely surge into the store at Longaberger Homestead to purchase the additional Made In America goods sometime in 2013.
The pottery industry has been a major economic contributor to Eastern Ohio for hundreds of years. My father worked in the pottery factory in Cambridge while he attended high school and worked on his dad's farm. I think pottery was his favorite job and he made friends there, working himself up to a crew leader type of position. Many of the local farm families sent someone to work in that factory over the decades.
Other business besides baskets and pottery:
- Longaberger Golf Club - An award-winning, daily-fee course at Licking/Muskingum County line. Golf Digest's annual ranking of the Best 100 Public Golf Courses placed it at Number 56 for 2011 - 2012. Previously, it had ranked near the bottom.
- Newark Metropolitan Hotel - Not owned by Longaberger, but this hotel opened in early August 2012 near the golf course, offering golfing packages at Longaberger Golf Club.
- The Inn at Dresden - Located in the birthplace of company founder David Longaberger (1934 - 1999), whose father worked for the Dresden Basket Company until it closed during The Great Depression. 209 Ames Drive - Dresden, Ohio (OH) 43821. Toll Free Phone: 1 (800) DRESDEN.
Longaberger Facilities: HQ, Factory and Store
Shopping, dinning, and other activities in a 6-block area in the Village of Dresden.