Highest Demand Jobs in Indianapolis Increasing 2013 - 2023
Top 10 Achievements in Indianapolis
TV's David Letterman began his small screen career in his hometown of Indianapolis as a TV weatherman. Having never seen his forecasts, I wager that they were entertaining if not accurate.
In accordance with Late Night's Top 10 Lists, Indianapolis provides several such lists, one of which is shown below.
Indianapolis was added to Forbes.com listings of its Top 10 Best Cities in the country for job seekers to find, secure, and thrive in good jobs. A variety of reasons makes this true, even during recessions. One reason for this is the healthy college and university enrollment increasing since 2009.
Of the population, 1,800,000+ people live in the metro area and about 800,000 in the city of Indianapolis, according to US Census Bureau 2007 - 2015. A good place for Young Adult Professionals, Indianapolis is home to approximately 600,000 adults ages 25 to 44, which comprises the bulk of the city population.
Indianapolis Job Search and More
Top 10 Indianapolis Achievements in the 2000s
- 2008: Working Mother Magazine - Local Eli Lily one of Top 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers
- 2008 - NFL Super Bowl 2012 bid won by Indianapolis.
- 2007 - Indianapolis in the Top 10 Cities for Total Biosciences Employment by Battelle and BIO
- 2007: Indianapolis Colts first appear in the Super Bowl (XLI) and win over the Chicago Bears, 29-17.
- 2007: Indianapolis 500 the first IndyCar event to include three women drivers: Patrick, Fisher, and Duno; with two, Patrick and Fisher, both finishing. In 1911, the Indy 500 was the first such race of this length in America.
- 2007: Forbes - Indiana has the 4th Lowest Business Costs in the nation in labor, energy, and tax costs.
- 2007: Expansion Management - Indianapolis is one of the 50 “hottest” cities in the US.
- 2007: Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, 2007 New Economy Index - Indiana ranked 1st in the USA for Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Entrepreneurial Advances.
- 2007: Business Facilities Magazine - Indiana was ranked 5th in Biotechnology Strength in the U.S. for drugs and pharmaceuticals.
- 2004: Digital Education Achievement Award for Indianapolis Regional Center Plan 2020.
Hot Job Listings in Spring and Summer 2015
Highest demand jobs in Indianapolis have increased steadily through 2012 into 2013 and include:
- IT Engineers
- Truck Drivers with CDL
- Electrical, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineers - Includes the Aerospace Industry
- RN Nurses
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurse Managers
- Physical Therapists
- Store Managers and Assistants, including dining places.
- Sales Representatives - Inside and outside
- Project Managers
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Hewlitt Packard Jobs
- Administrative Assistants
- Business Analysts
- Warehouse Jobs
- Occupational Therapists
Hi Tech Business Accelerator Park: Avg Wages $54,000/year
Downtown Indianapolis Jobs
Ongoing revitalization of a vibrant downtown area in Indianapolis is operating under a city development plan reaching to 2020. This plan includes the work of an innovative life sciences center called BioCrossroads.
The leadership of this firm ensures funding and launch of new technologies and products that mesh into the new Sustainability Movement in America. This encompasses 1) Health Information 2) Medical Technologies, and 3) Food & Agricultural Development projects.
During the Great recession of 2008 - 2010, new jobs increased in Indianapolis through construction and jobs development in the central city.
In 2008 alone, $1.4 Billion funded completion of 26 separate major projects in real estate development, office space, and residential buildings Downtown (compared to only $157 Million in 1998). In the same year, $433,000,000 in life sciences projects were finished. Boosting Travel and Trousism in the city, nealy 8,000,000 visits were made to Downtown attractions. Downtown Indianapolis has more than 50 WIFI Hotspots as well.
The number of University Students in Downtown in 2008, 54,000 was significantly higher than in any year previously back to 1995, with a marked increase from 2007 - 2008. College towns such as these fare better during recessions than non-college cities, because of the presence of students with dollars to spend.
This Downtown neighborhood of 250+ acres was purchased by two gentleman in 1835. By the early 1870s, it was not only a settlement, but a growing commercial area. German and German-Americans created much of the success, especially after the railroads came through in 1864. Commerce exploded with new businesses between 1909 - 1929 as well.
Drawing the arts and theater productions Downtown, this area continued to grow into the 1950s, where it stagnated until the 1990s and revitalization began. Ongoing building and development are planned through 2020.
Central Indiana, Marion County
Top 10 Largest Employers
- U.S. Government
- State of Indiana - Govt.
- Eli Lilly and Co.
- Indiana University
- Purdue University
- St.Vincent Health
- Marsh Supermarkets Inc.
- Clarian Health Partners
- City of Indianapolis/Marion County - Unigov (combined).
- Community Health Network and Hospitals
Second 10 Largest Employers
An additional five top employers in Indianapolis are all health care companies and include:
- Peyton Manning Children's Hospital
- Indiana University/Purdue University Hospitals
- Clarian Health Partners Inc
- Indianapolis Public Schools
- Methodist Hospital
- SBC Indiana
- Wishard Health Services
- Allison Engine, Transmission Division
- Ford Motor Company
- St. Francis Hospital and Health Centers
Top 10 Hot Jobs and Salaries in the 2010s
Nine of the 20 fastest-growing occupations in Indiana, Central INdiana, and Greater Indianapolis are in life sciences, making it clearly one of the most significant growth sectors in the state.
Top 10 Fastest-Growing Jobs in Central Indiana
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications: Avg. Salary = $70,700
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts $70,600
- Computer Systems Analysts $68,700
- Pharmacists $95,000
- Registered Nurses (RNs) $59,100+
- Sales Representatives $50,000 - includes medical and pharmaceutical sales.
- Dental Assistants $35,700
- Postsecondary Teachers $57,800
- Dental Hygienists $71,300
- Management Analysts $61,200
Top 10 Hot Jobs in Indianapolis (increases of 40 - 48%)
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Avionics Technicians
- Veterinary Techs
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Computer Software Applicatons Engineers
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Environmental Engineers - especially in sustainability and green industry development.
- Skin Care Specialists
Second Top 10 Hot Jobs Forecast (33 - 39% Increase)
- Medical Assistants
- Physician Assistants (PAs)
- College Level Computer Science Teachers
- College Level English Language & Literature Teachers
- Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Personal/Home Care Aides
- Educational and Vocational Counselors
- Dental Hygienists
Top 10 Stimulus Package Awards
According to Indiana State Governor Mitch Daniels on the State of Indiana website, Indiana has agreed to receive $4.3 Billion from the Stimulus Package. Indianapolis and Marion County governments are combined into a Unigov and will receive a large pot of funds from that amount. The Top 10 Projects will Include a portion each allotment following:
- Medicaid, $1.4 billion - expansion with emphasis on covering needy children.
- Education, $1.3 billion
- Roads and Bridges, $650 million in infrastructure funding.
- Nutrition, $400 million
- Weatherization, $100 million
- Water Quality, $100 million
- Housing, $100 million
- Public Transportation, $80 million
- Energy, $70 million - expanding alternative sources, including biofuels.
- Employment Services: $70 million for Employment & Training activities. $40 million in Child Care will help workers with children.
Spirits of the Indy 500
Other Important Attractions
- Canal and White River State Park District | Visit Indy
Browse more information about Canal & White River State Park District. Get directions, browse photos and videos and search for nearby Indianapolis attractions, restaurants and hotels.
- The Official Website of the Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Official Website. Visit Colts.com for Colts News, Tickets and more.
- Official site of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Tickets, news, multimedia, statistics and more from the home of the Indianapolis 500, Allstate 400 at the Brickyard and Red Bull Indianapolis GP races.
Top 10 Colleges and Universities in Indianapolis
- Butler University
- Christian Theological Seminary
- Crossroads Bible College
- Indiana Bible College
- Indiana Business College
- Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis
- Ivy Tech State College
- Marian College
- Martin University
- University of Indianapolis
© 2009 Patty Inglish MS